Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Wheel/Tire Choice

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel/Tire Choice

I am contemplating building a Type 65 Coupe and am putting together my want/need/wish list. I would like the use Vintage Halibrand Replica wheels with the billboard tires for a more traditional look. I would also like the use the IRS for the rear. From the Factory Five videos they don't list the 15 inch wheels as available for the Coupe. Can they be used/what would it take the use them?

THANKS

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    They don't list it because it's not a supported combination. You'll be on your own. Yes, guys have done builds with the 15-inch wheels and the 2015+ IRS. But you're going to be doing some mods and buying parts from other than Factory Five. They don't have a rear brake combination that works with the 2015+ IRS and 15-inch wheels, for starters. Hopefully those with experience will chime in and detail what's necessary. In addition to brakes, I assume you've done your due diligence and also researched the tires available for 15-inch wheels in the required widths. Not a lot and maybe even not the best choices for performance. I get trying for the authentic look, but how much are you willing to compromise? The time for this may have passed. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks CTHiker52 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    edwardb, thanks for your reply and insight. I am not planning to track the car and I know I would run out of b#@s before I would run out of car. I did research the available tire sizes and they are limited. I suspect as time marches on their a availability may become less and less. I might have to rethink the IRS and if the nastalgic look is worth it. THANKS again

CTHiker52.

Purchaser, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Morning Gary,
    We recently put together an 11.65" rear brake package for the '15 IRS in a Gen 3 Coupe (#60780 - $650.00) when installing our 15" Halibrand replica wheels. Please give one of our sales/tech guys a call to discuss this option further.
    Thank you & have a terrific day!

6. Thanks CTHiker52 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jay, Good morning. THANKS for the quick response. Excellent food for thought.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve had 15” for a dozen years choices have become quite limited for competitive tires
    Took up autocross and my new 17’s are here.
    My ideas about how to use the car changed over time

9. Likes CTHiker52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Johno250, THANKS for your insight.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary,
    I know you say you are not planing on racing her, but these cars are light with lots of horsepower. I would consider the lack of traction from 15" rubber available as a safety concern. Trust me.....you will want to mash the skinny pedal, and they can get away from you fast with the wrong rubber....just a thought (from experience..)

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary,

Don't worry about the tires. Just put a big block under the gas pedal to restrict movement. Quarter throttle should be 'bout right.

All kidding aside, the tires are the only thing that connects your butt to the pavement. Not a good place to comprise safety - traction is a good thing. As has been previously indicated please research tires and keep asking questions.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Capt. Paul and Jim 1855 THANKS for taking the time to respond. I’m a long way away from actually pulling the trigger and placing an order. I am full of questions and am refining my design model. Since this will be a driver I am beginning to lean towards a more modern wheel size and tire combination.

THANKS AGAIN

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    Gary,

Don't worry about the tires. Just put a big block under the gas pedal to restrict movement. Quarter throttle should be 'bout right.

All kidding aside, the tires are the only thing that connects your butt to the pavement. Not a good place to comprise safety - traction is a good thing. As has been previously indicated please research tires and keep asking questions.

Jim
    Jim, AGREED, growing up my Dad had a gas station and repair shop and I worked there since I was 11 until I graduated college. He always said NEVER skimp on tires or brakes.

THANKS AGAIN
    Gary