Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: J-pipes to long-tubes

Post Thanks / Like

J-pipes to long-tubes

I got the j-pipe package with my Gen-2 Coyote back in 2016 (mostly for cost savings) and have seen my enthusiasm for this solution decline as I read about cracked pipes, difficulty adjusting sidepipes, and now Mr. Kleiner jumping in with his recommendation to avoid them entirely. I'm thinking long tubes will be my Christmas present to myself.

I have questions about changing over to long tubes and welcome feedback, links, whatever folks are willing to offer.

1) What is the preferred solution between GP or FFR headers? Stainless? Ceramic coating? Ball-end?
    2) Are Remflex gaskets (to the engine) still considered the best choice?
    3) How far do I have to lift/move the engine to remove the shorties and install the long tubes? Am I going to have to disconnect all my engine wiring and remove the midshifter (3rd time's the charm)?
    4) Am I likely to still need the two hardened washers I installed on the DS engine mount for clearance to the foot box, or do the long tubes avoid this problem?
    5) With the Remflex gaskets and long tubes, should I get locking header bolts? If so, what's the preferred solution?

Thanks in advance.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    I got the j-pipe package with my Gen-2 Coyote back in 2016 (mostly for cost savings) and have seen my enthusiasm for this solution decline as I read about cracked pipes, difficulty adjusting sidepipes, and now Mr. Kleiner jumping in with his recommendation to avoid them entirely. I'm thinking long tubes will be my Christmas present to myself.

I have questions about changing over to long tubes and welcome feedback, links, whatever folks are willing to offer.

1) What is the preferred solution between GP or FFR headers? Stainless? Ceramic coating? Ball-end?
    2) Are Remflex gaskets (to the engine) still considered the best choice?
    3) How far do I have to lift/move the engine to remove the shorties and install the long tubes? Am I going to have to disconnect all my engine wiring and remove the midshifter (3rd time's the charm)?
    4) Am I likely to still need the two hardened washers I installed on the DS engine mount for clearance to the foot box, or do the long tubes avoid this problem?
    5) With the Remflex gaskets and long tubes, should I get locking header bolts? If so, what's the preferred solution?

Thanks in advance.
    1) Get the FFR headers with the Ball end on them. They are stainless.
    2) I have always used factory header gaskets and never had any problems with Coyote exhaust leaks.
    3) Passengers dies is no problem, drivers side it tight, you will not need to disconnect hoses, wiring etc, it can be done by removing the motor mount nut and raising the motor.
    4) Clearance at that location is tight to the head, not the pipe generally so there will be no change in that.
    5) Have never using locking bolts on a coyote, again, never had an issue
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Passengers dies is no problem,
    I feel the same way Ron................................ Sorry, I got a giggle from that line and couldn't pass up replying.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    I feel the same way Ron................................ Sorry, I got a giggle from that line and couldn't pass up replying.
    Well you know how those Massachusetts drivers are, particularly senators.............................Sorry, I couldn't pass up the Ted Kennedy reference for Ron's benefit

Jeff

5. Likes Aircontroller, GoDadGo, RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you raise the engine, be sure to loosen up the trans mount.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    Two guys who have never been a passenger in my car chuckled at this, Those who have been a passenger don't see the humor. :-)
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Two guys who have never been a passenger in my car chuckled at this, Those who have been a passenger don't see the humor. :-)
    No sir. Two guys that know better than to ride passenger with you. :O
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    When I rode with you I was most worried about having a tire go flat

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Bought the FFR ball-end headers ($850 + $56 shipping to the PNW). Nice quality parts.

What's the trick to get all the header flange bolts started? I can install bolts 1 through 7 starting from one end, but #8 won't engage threads. I can start at #8 and install through #2, but then #1 won't engage. I seem to remember the shorty headers being a little tricky, but was able to get it with the engine outside the car.

Should I ease the outer bolt holes with a Dremel? Do the outer two bolts need to be started simultaneously? Start at #3 and 4 and work outward? I could change to studs and nuts, but it sounds like folks were able to get the bolts to work.

Thanks in advance.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Open up the bolt holes, this problem is almost normal with headers. Easiest fix is with a drill and a slightly larger bit (+1/32"). But this makes a round hole and larger everywhere, perhaps you'll be happier with a Dremel tool or file to just attack the area of interference.

At the same time I have no experience with FFR supplied headers. A friend bought from one of the aftermarket header suppliers and still had to enlarge a few holes.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Jim. Light touch with a file or Dremel probably will do the trick. One hint, which you're probably doing, but will say just in case. Don't tighten any until all eight are started. One-by-one, start enough to be engaged (several turns) but then go to the next one. Often this will give just enough wiggle room to get the last stubborn ones started.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Jim & Paul - much appreciated. Dremel it is.