Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Spark Plugs - Thoughts Sought

Post Thanks / Like

Spark Plugs - Thoughts Sought

Greetings...

I pulled a plug the other day to have a look. It was difficult to remove, and I noted the absence of anti-seize, which, with an aluminum head, strikes me as something I should address. It was relatively dry, very light black soot, and didn't strike me as anything particularly concerning with regard to the nature of this engine. Since I am going to pull them all anyway, I thought about popping some fresh, and MAYBE something different, in there. Which has me seeking those wiser than myself in such matters.

It's a carbureted Engine Factory 393 with Edelbrock Performer heads, Pertronix distributor and Flamethrower coil. The spec plugs are Champion RC12YC's, which strikes me as pretty common (I see Autolite Copper 3924's are an alternate). It runs plenty strong, starts fairly easy, etc.

So...I did a little research and searching here, and maybe seeking a little more. I saw references to "gimmick" plugs (multi-electrode, platinum, etc). I tried a set of Bosch Platinum tips in my old 302 MKII once and felt there was an improvement, at least it seemed that way. Or maybe it was wishful thinking on my part.

Making a short story long, stick with what works? Or have you used some alternatives that you really liked?

Thanks much (in advance).
    Robert
    "You don't just shift a Cobra, you chamber another round."

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Autolite. I read, long ago, some brands of plug's theads are harder on alum heads.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

3. Likes rwantin liked this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stay away from black oxide coated plugs with aluminum heads, go with plated. Use a zinc based anti-seize for best galvanic protection if you plan to leave the plugs in long-term. But be advised that anti-seize will reduce the torque required to tighten the plugs which if you're not careful, you can damage the threads. Get sloppy with the anti-seize you you will get it on the electrode and ground strap which could lead to misfires.

If you have flat top pistons consider using a projected tip plug. I use Autolite racing plugs where I can, they are projected tip and nickle plated. In high compression engines I use NGK racing plugs as they provide more clearance for dome pistons. I don't use multiple ground strap plugs, too difficult to read the plugs.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

5. Likes rwantin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

7. Likes rwantin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, this is REALLY helpful. I'd go very thin on the anti-seize, it's just that upon removing the one, I think I may be in for future heartbreak if I don't.

Mark, I'm looking over your plugs.
    Robert
    "You don't just shift a Cobra, you chamber another round."