Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Driving Lights

Post Thanks / Like

Driving Lights

Has anyone installed driving lights? What style/brand would be appropriate (if any)? Pictures would really help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim
    I an putting 6" dia Hella driving lamps in my MKIV build
    I do not have any photos at this time to share with you
    they look pretty mean in my mock set up. Super simple to mount and adjust as needed.
    I like the look of driving lights/rally lights on older mustangs.
    Plus the benefit of more light at night.
    Go for it.
    Martin

3. Likes Jim Wehr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am interested in follow-ups on this. I also intend to install 6 inch Hella driving lights, but am a bit puzzled as how to mount them on a cross bar in front of the radiator. My lamps are a bottom mount, so assume a dropped bar will have to be constructed. Would be great if center mount lights were still available. I am running a 302 motor, so don't feel that lights in the grill will impede cooling

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking these. Looks like they could mount in the cowl. The lenses are glass but the body is plastic.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...gaAsfGEALw_wcB

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still think the Tangent Light kit was one of the best implementations... too bad they're not made anymore.

IMG00118.jpg
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you thinking of using them as daytime running lights or just to make things brighter at night? It was a pretty easy matter to run a parallel switch circuit to headlamps only on my MkII to use the headlights as DRLs, but on another car I used a pair of off-road LED units and have been told they're BRIGHT in daylight.
    59280979500__0094A800-72E8-4D61-A6B0-BB4DA76F7727.jpg

I've found low-mounted lights to throw weird shadows on winding, wooded backroads at night, however...

HTH!
    FFR Mk II 4437
    Finally on the road, 8/12! SVO Crate 302, IRS, EEC IV

Post Thanks / Like
    Some ideas (not mine):

This is what it looks like when installed:

And another idea although I am not sure about the look:

Here is what they look like on the car:

Another guy just attached a square bar across the middle of the nose using L brackets and attached the lights to that.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    I still think the Tangent Light kit was one of the best implementations... too bad they're not made anymore.

IMG00118.jpg
    Couldn't agree more. I had them on my MKII and loved them. Planned to install them on the current build but found out they are being made anymore.
    FFR #4402 MKII Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes, Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 MK IV "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process with 3.27 IRS, Multiport, Fuel Injected Supercharged 347 Big bore with Coil On Plug running Holley HP engine management, 576 RWHP, 510 Torque
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?29980 Milano thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a set of mounting brackets for my Hellas. My play is to wed a 3/4" bar off the left and right side of the two down sloping 3/4" bars(the ones where you mount your horns). The brackets allow me to angle the lights any way I want. Nice and clean, simple and out of sight. If I can find the link where I bought the brackets, I will post. MIMG_0775.jpgIMG_0772.jpgIMG_0776.jpg
    Last edited by magicmarto; 03-27-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I night autocross, I have a 14 inch four row LED bar and two 5 inch ones that I mount to my front nudge bar. OMG, it is insane how much light it puts out.
    The rest of the year, the 14" one is mounted on my garage ceiling with a power supply pointing at my engine bay as a shop light. It is so bright, that if I go under the car I have to turn it off. If you look up, it blinds you. I turned it on on the open road on the way home and I thought I was going to melt the paint off of the signs.

I have thought about doing mesh in the oil cooler opening and putting a smaller one behind that. It would be hidden, and I would bet still effective.

12. Likes toadster liked this post