Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: It Started 2 October 2019. RBachman build in Coastal South Carolina

Post Thanks / Like

Cool It Started 2 October 2019. RBachman build in Coastal South Carolina

Well, I don't know if I should thank ya'll for helping me decide on a FFR Cobra or blame you guys for the money I'm spending. LOL The Mike Forte built engine arrived yesterday, so I think my build is officially started (Thanks Mike!!!). The car won't get to me until Monday, maybe Sunday if I'm fortunate and the brakes arrived several weeks ago. Still no word on wheels and tires, though. The new garage is all but completed with overhead lighting & electrical wrapping up tomorrow, and plumbing & doors next week. I have shelving to put together this weekend and will set the air compressor myself. I just ordered a lot of clecos and other miscellaneous supplies. My list for Breeze, FF Metals, Etc. is almost complete. So here we go....................

Just some pics of the Mike Forte engine build (Thanks again, Mike!!! A pleasure doing business with you!).
    It's a Dart block 347 with some Edelbrock tossed in. No carburetor, but a Fitech 600 EFI., tranny is the typical TKO 600 w/mid shift kit, throttle linkage, power steering pump and AC. There's a lot more, but it gets confusing, LOL. Actually, the advice, education and discussions with Mike were invaluable. He really took his time and made sure I got exactly what I needed for my goals on the build. Not only for the engine, but sound and experienced advice on other aspects also. Thanks again, Mike!!!

Anyway, here are some engine pics. The local laws require we keep wild beasts contained, so it'll live in its crate for a few more months while its new home is getting ready. (LOL)

IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RBachman; 10-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's here!

C7AB0DEC-F807-4BB4-9BAC-324EA0DE577D.jpg ECDD1CA9-B248-4DC7-852E-6028CC365C8B.jpg

The car arrived this morning and is safely stored in my wife's parking space until I can get it into the new garage. Unfortunately, my new garage is not ready and three weeks past due. A hurricane caused some of the delay, but the majority was caused by bad subs. I ended up having to fire the plumber and garage door guy and bring in new companies. Thankfully, the electrical inspection is tomorrow and plumbing is on Wednesday. The garage doors are also scheduled for completion on Wednesday. Thursday the painters come in to apply the floor covering, which will take 3 or 4 days (diamond grind, enamel first coat, and then two more of poly on top of chips.) The lift is in and the compressor gets piped in tomorrow. The HVAC is in, but has a number of punch lists items also scheduled for completion this week. It's amazing how many tradesmen a contractor will put on site when you refuse any draws until the project is completed. LOL

Anyway, if the painters can do their thing quickly, I may be able to move in this coming weekend.

5C22538E-CC6A-4BEA-BBA8-C5A71C91CF5E.jpeg774AB54F-B46A-4D26-A806-D3681975BB4D.jpg265566DF-CBC1-420F-8AF6-FDD135E7F386.jpg713F4C8A-F112-44E8-A1DE-8EB639412496.jpg
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your motor setup is almost the same as what I ordered. I have the Sniper EFI instead of your Fitech. Now that your motor is out of Forte's shop, he can start working on mine!
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

4. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The garage is looking great. Sooooooo much space! And a lift too!

Terry
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

6. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    Your motor setup is almost the same as what I ordered. I have the Sniper EFI instead of your Fitech. Now that your motor is out of Forte's shop, he can start working on mine!
    Terry, working with Mike was an educational breeze. The engine arrived very well packaged in a protective crate with the transmission and all else installed. It weighed right at 1,000 lbs. I currently have it on 4 cheap furniture dollies so I can move it around until the shop is completed and I can place it in a safe spot. He even provided a video of the dyno that I probably watch 50 times. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    The garage is looking great. Sooooooo much space! And a lift too!

Terry

Thank you. It's my dream garage, and I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to do this. There's a still a good bit of "moving in" to do after the contractors finish. Tools, supplies, cabinets, benches all need to get installed. One thing I'm doing different is with the benches. I purchased some used stainless restaurant kitchen tables. They are very heavy duty, free standing and cheap. Put a rubber pad on top of them and I'm good to go.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations & Let The Fun Begin!

Also, you've got a Factory Five Guy just North of you in Myrtle Beach.
    Brian (Smithbks) has a completed MK-4 with a 427 Windsor in it.
    He was my long distance build buddy and is a 100% good guy.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-08-2019 at 11:57 AM.

10. Thanks RBachman thanked for this post
    Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    Terry, working with Mike was an educational breeze. The engine arrived very well packaged in a protective crate with the transmission and all else installed. It weighed right at 1,000 lbs. I currently have it on 4 cheap furniture dollies so I can move it around until the shop is completed and I can place it in a safe spot. He even provided a video of the dyno that I probably watch 50 times. LOL
    Share the YouTube link to the video. Let's hear a lumpy cam!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. It's my dream garage, and I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to do this. There's a still a good bit of "moving in" to do after the contractors finish. Tools, supplies, cabinets, benches all need to get installed. One thing I'm doing different is with the benches. I purchased some used stainless restaurant kitchen tables. They are very heavy duty, free standing and cheap. Put a rubber pad on top of them and I'm good to go.
    That is awesome to make your garage work just for you. Being 6'6" tall, I have my work benches all raised about 6" higher than normal. My desk at work sits on 4" high wood blocks. It is great to be able to to work without hunching over. On the wood blocks I wrote "Reasonable Accommodation. "

Post Thanks / Like
    Share the YouTube link to the video. Let's hear a lumpy cam!
    Here ya' go. It sounds fairly smooth for what it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_OLYjOB1iw

Post Thanks / Like
    That is awesome to make your garage work just for you. Being 6'6" tall, I have my work benches all raised about 6" higher than normal. My desk at work sits on 4" high wood blocks. It is great to be able to to work without hunching over. On the wood blocks I wrote "Reasonable Accommodation. "
    LOL. I'm not nearly that tall, but a lot of the men in my family are. But I like a high counter, and most professional tool chests are also higher than normal countertops. My box sits at 47" tall. When selecting a lift I remembered how my uncle (a mechanic) had to bend over to fit under one. So I got a taller one that allows taller vehicles and taller people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard.... I really don't see how your going to get your MK4 kit into that little garage. I told you when I was there you would need much more room than that. The engine is very similar in HP/Trq as mine, so you kinda know what to expect...

Excited for you... The fun will begin.... NOW!
    Carl

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

16. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is one sweet garage + a lift. Congratulations!

18. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here ya' go. It sounds fairly smooth for what it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_OLYjOB1iw
    I'm guessing that Forte installed a Ford E-Cam. It is very streetable with a slight cam lumpy sound. It sounds good. You don't want too much for a street car as it makes thinks less than pleasant. Higher idle needed, power band up too high in rpms, etc.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing that Forte installed a Ford E-Cam. It is very streetable with a slight cam lumpy sound. It sounds good. You don't want too much for a street car as it makes thinks less than pleasant. Higher idle needed, power band up too high in rpms, etc.
    Ditto on the too much power issue makes for a less than pleasant street car.

Personally I think your combination is "Spot On Perfect" and am sure that it will be a real joy to drive.
    For the record, I actually took some camshaft duration out of my combo when I had to change my block.

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

While I miss sound, I don't miss the fact the previous cam didn't want to run much below 1,850 RPM.
    Now I can drive the car at 1,700 RPM which equates to cruising at 70 MPH.

I really feel like the sweet spot for these cars is about 400 HP.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-09-2019 at 02:29 PM.

21. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice shop. Once again, I have shop envy.

Is that high long bay for a RV ?

And what is the smaller structure on the right hand side of the shop ?
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post
    Very nice shop. Once again, I have shop envy.

Is that high long bay for a RV ?

And what is the smaller structure on the right hand side of the shop ?
    Yes, the high bay is for our RV. That side is 25' x 60' with 20' walls and vaulted ceilings. This allows room on the sides for extending the slide-outs and enough height to walk around on the roof for maintenance without bumping your head. The large doors are 16' x 16' (one on each end) and I have shore power, water, dump station and compressed air on the sides. The "shop" area with the lift is 30' x 40' with a 14' ceiling and a storage area above. It has a small bathroom in one corner and stainless counter with slop sink. A 9' roll-up door and a personnel door separate the two sides. Each side is heated/cooled with mini-splits. There are 120 volt outlets spaced about every 8 to 10 feet, and numerous 220 volt outlets placed throughout.

The smaller structure behind and to the right is a three-bay 48' x 24' garage with an apartment/guest quarters on top. It started as a carport until my wife had a few "minor" design changes. LOL. I mostly use it for my studio, unless friends and family are visiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that I had garage envy before, and now I am positive.

Congratulations on building the garage that most of us can only dream about.
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades

25. Thanks RBachman thanked for this post
    Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow nice shop! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build.

27. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally getting moved into the new garage for real now. I never realized how heavy some of this stuff is, or how much junk I have to move over. The only thing left is some paint touch ups, a few plumbing punch list items and the rear driveway. IMG_2707.jpgIMG_2708.jpgIMG_2708.jpgIMG_2713.jpeg. I took some time yesterday to uncrate the engine. Mike Forte' did a beautiful job creating this eye-candy. Isn't it beautiful? LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Put a piece of glass on the air cleaner cover and you can use your motor as a really expensive coffee table until you install it in your car. You have to have somewhere to set your drinks down while you work on your car.

30. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put a piece of glass on the air cleaner cover and you can use your motor as a really expensive coffee table until you install it in your car. You have to have somewhere to set your drinks down while you work on your car.
    I am already thinking about it! LOL. I finally got started on inventory after spending most of the morning working on other home repair stuff. What a mess!!! And I could sure use the table space right now. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Initial Sheet Metal Fitment

I just finished getting all the factory sheetmetal realigned, properly mated to one another, adjusted some bends, filed, drilled, etc. The initial alignment of the sheet metal was not as I would have liked. I'm not complaining, mind you, and pretty much expected them to be out of alignment, or just tacked into place for transport. What's confusing is that the manual says to mark the panels as they are without any tweaking. When one panel is off just a tad, the ones connected to it won't align and it usually gets worse leading to other issues. Having remembered what Jeff K told me a few months ago, I just started at the first panel, tweaked it, pinned it in place with clecos and kept going. A number of welds also needed just a tad grinding to make it all work. Once it looked good I marked, drilled and pinned back each panel with clecos one at a time. Still not "perfect" to my engineer's OCD mind, but much better than it was. I took a lot of pictures to help get it back together also. A bit more work for sure, but I'll never regret taking the time. All the holes are drilled in the panels and the chassis, and it all fits. When the time comes, I'll put it all back with clecos before the first rivet goes in.