Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Create an LLC in Montana and register your car from anywhere, tax free, EASY!

Post Thanks / Like

Create an LLC in Montana and register your car from anywhere, tax free, EASY!

I just finished my 33 Hot Rod. I moved twice during the build and did lots of research on titling in registration in the 2 different states, Arizona and Nevada. Ultimately I decided to create an LLC in Montana using LLCTLC.com and title the car to the company. Montana has no vehicle tax, no inspection, and no emissions testing! Go to LLCTLC.com to find out more. They walk you through the whole process. To get the title you will need to have any law officer sign off on your “level 1” VIN inspection. I used a local city cop in Arizona that I know from work. Otherwise it’s super easy. Once you have the Montana registration you can renew it online each year. If you end up using LLCTLC, tell them Matthew Clark sent you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes sread, RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great looking hot rod - we need more pics!
    BTW though, I thought I have heard that more and more states are cracking down on the Montana LLC deal because too many guys have been using it as a way to get around taxes for high end cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for this!! Looking forward to reading.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I HIGHLY recommend NOT doing this. As a matter of fact I'm considering closing this thread. Nothing against you Vegas33, but this has "Uh oh" and "legal reprocussions" written all over it.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

6. Likes shmelty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Your call David of course. It sounded more similar to reasons why people create a company in Delaware to me, but I haven't even read about it yet. An open loophole (that may be closed at anytime) at worst.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd never heard of this, so I did a quick google search. Most (nearly all) of the articles I found outlined a myriad reasons why this is a REALLY bad idea. Here's just one example:

https://jalopnik.com/the-pitfalls-of...cam-1711216059

Also, here's an article about federal agents raiding a property in GA suspected of running the Montana registration "scam":

https://www.ajc.com/news/luxury-car-...DX8EuvYzgNo6J/

In the end, I just want to drive my cars and not have to worry about the IRS targeting me for audits or federal agents raiding my house or my insurance company refusing a claim, but that's just me...
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

9. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Likes RoadRacer, David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Oklahoma, they take note of out of state tags parked in front of businesses, if you park
    an out of state tag there for more then 90 days, they will hand you a ticket.

Doubt anyone would drive a hot rod to work that much, but my luck, I would get caught.

Post Thanks / Like
    The car looks great; congratulations. The Jalopnik article is right on the money, and reminds me of the old saying "it's all legal until you get caught." With or without my law license being on the line, I wouldn't do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to say something similar to what others posted, but then didn't. Now that some have weighed in, if you do your due diligence you'll find one of the big issues isn't getting the title and license (and avoiding the sales tax in the process) and getting insurance. It's the risk of any claims being denied if you have a claim. Then it's too late. I don't know if any of the linked articles talk about this. But when this subject was raised before (and I know a few that have done it...) I looked into it and backed away. Probably best to close the thread IMO.

I agree though. Nice car. Have fun with it.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-06-2020 at 10:11 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard about this 2 years ago when I was up at a big car meet in Colorado. A number of GT2 and GT3 owners had gone thru this process.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I'd never heard of this, so I did a quick google search. Most (nearly all) of the articles I found outlined a myriad reasons why this is a REALLY bad idea. Here's just one example:

https://jalopnik.com/the-pitfalls-of...cam-1711216059

Also, here's an article about federal agents raiding a property in GA suspected of running the Montana registration "scam":

https://www.ajc.com/news/luxury-car-...DX8EuvYzgNo6J/

In the end, I just want to drive my cars and not have to worry about the IRS targeting me for audits or federal agents raiding my house or my insurance company refusing a claim, but that's just me...
    Thanks, saved me the trouble. *unbookmarked*
    James