Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: CT DMV Inspection

Post Thanks / Like

CT DMV Inspection

I recently went through the CT inspection process and thought I would post some things I did to make it easier to do
    I went on a Tuesday morning and arrived around 7:00 was 3rd in line
    For me the process went very well and the inspector was very professional.

1. Preparation before inspection day
    Build car according to CT inspection regulations
    Days/weeks before inspection download and fill-out and print the fillable pdf R95 form.
    You can do the same for form H-13B. But will need this after a passed inspection same day.
    Take 2 pictures of the car as described in the application section of R-175.pdf CT DMV

2. First DMV Visit Prepay (any DMV office near your location, but not AAA offices)
    Take your printed filled out R95 form down to a DMV branch office with your License, I brought everything with me in case I needed it. The Enfield office only asked me for my License
    Make sure you also have them charge you for the prepaid VIN assignment fee of $50 (as of this writing).
    Pay the inspection fee of $88 (as of this writing) and the VIN fee of $50
    Get receipt showing you paid the inspection and VIN fees. (I made copies for myself)

3. Inspection day (Wethersfield DMV only. I did not need an appointment )
    Bring your filled out R95, H-13B, DMV fee receipts, pictures, and associated paperwork as described in the R-175.pdf form down to the Wethersfield DMV inspection lane
    Present paperwork as asked for from the inspection officer.
    Pass inspection

4. The inspector officer will be using form B-269. In Section A (Customer Fill-in). Inspector officer should tell you how to fill this section. For me, I was told the following values
    Year = 1965
    Make = Composite
    Model = Cobra
    Body = Roadster

This will need more research, but it might be worth to assign Make = Replica instead of composite for "classic plates" ?

After the inspection before loading the car back on the trailer go inside the DMV and get a line ticket. then go back and load the car and move it to the other side parking lot then go back in and wait in line for registration. this will save you time in line. if your number got called while you were loading the car just get another one

Note: Make sure you read this
    After the passed inspection, and during the process of getting it registered. If the clerk does not want to register it as a 1965. Stop the process, get all you original paper work and back away, you can always get it registered another day as a 1965 if it is not registered! (You don't have to register it on inspection day). Once you get it registered as some other year you cannot get it re-registered later as a 1965. This is important for CT local town yearly taxes. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Tax-Increases!
    Last edited by chmhasy; 12-14-2021 at 06:34 PM.

2. Thanks Aircontroller, MattB22 thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller, RBachman, MattB22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully you registered it as a 65 (historic), or you risk getting f’d on annual vehicle property tax.

Congrats on passing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on passing.... I’m hoping for a late spring trip to the DMV. Did they point out anything on the inspection of interest?
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
    Hopefully you registered it as a 65 (historic), or you risk getting f’d on annual vehicle property tax.

Congrats on passing!
    The inspector told me to put down as model year 1965, Make = composite, Model = Cobra, Body Style =Roadster
    so yes I got the 1965 and classic plates

6. Likes Badfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brewha View Post
    Congrats on passing.... I’m hoping for a late spring trip to the DMV. Did they point out anything on the inspection of interest?
    As all the horror stories that I heard about the CT inspection process. For me the process went fairy easy. he was most concerned about the matching paperwork receipts for motor, trans, rear-end and kit.

Brewha where are you in the process? I am in south Windsor. If you want to hook up at some time
    Last edited by chmhasy; 10-05-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent! That's great news. Enjoy that ride!

Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    The inspector told me to put down as model year 1965, Make = composite, Model = Cobra, Body Style =Roadster
    so yes I got the 1965 and classic plates

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, that's to bad on what Middle town is doing to you. I wounder if you added or removed spouse to the ownership of the car you can have it re-registered as a 65

Post Thanks / Like
    I was on the road for about a month last year and decided to finish the body before going to DMV. It’s been a slow process since then..... mostly motivation and money. Body is currently off and has the seams ground down. Dewaxing is almost finished and will start body filling the seams maybe later this week. These new bodywork videos coming out from F5 have spiked my interest. I like everyone else had issues with the driver door and can’t wait to see how they get it to match up.
    I’d like to meet up sometime to see your work or you check out mine. I’ll send you an email with my contact info.
    Congrats again for being on the road...
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brewha View Post
    I was on the road for about a month last year and decided to finish the body before going to DMV. It’s been a slow process since then..... mostly motivation and money. Body is currently off and has the seams ground down. Dewaxing is almost finished and will start body filling the seams maybe later this week. These new bodywork videos coming out from F5 have spiked my interest. I like everyone else had issues with the driver door and can’t wait to see how they get it to match up.
    I’d like to meet up sometime to see your work or you check out mine. I’ll send you an email with my contact info.
    Congrats again for being on the road...
    I will be watching for the driver door too