Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: MD Taxes question

Post Thanks / Like

MD Taxes question

It sounds like FFR is charging a 6.25% MA state tax when picking up kit — avoided if getting vehicle delivered by Stewart. I’m still trying to research this for Maryland but was hoping someone has already figured this out.

Does anyone know if I can claim this tax against fees when I go to title/register my car in Maryland?
    Does anyone know if there’s a time limit to make this claim? (What if it takes 3 years to complete car?)

I’d prefer to pick up and avoid the delivery charges.

Anthony
    Last edited by grabera7; 10-06-2019 at 10:32 AM.

2. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller, Shades liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Anthony, excellent points of discussion.

I’m in Virginia and I’ll be looking at how taxes apply to me as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with MVA (Maryland DMV) this morning and it sounds like we do not have reciprocity with Massachusetts. Kind of annoying that FFR is now charging state taxes. @Aircontroller - as far as I know, Virginia has reciprocity.

5. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’m gonna check into that today! I’ll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by grabera7 View Post
    I spoke with MVA (Maryland DMV) this morning and it sounds like we do not have reciprocity with Massachusetts. Kind of annoying that FFR is now charging state taxes. @Aircontroller - as far as I know, Virginia has reciprocity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ohhhkay.....I posted this same post in another thread. Posting it here to ensure y’all get the info I was able to confirm.

Ok....this is awesome! (In the sense of finally getting clarification).

I called the Vehicle Branding Work Office (Virginia). The way that they make you pay sales tax is that you’ll have to tally all of your receipts and for the receipts that you turn in that you HAVE NOT been taxes one, they’ll levy a 4.15% sales tax on.

If we can confirm grabera7’s post is the case, you save at least 2.10% in taxes by rolling with Virginia because it may be cheaper to pay the VA tax than the MA tax taking into calculation the Stewart Transport costs.

This has been excellent info for me. It’s been killing me not knowing how the taxes thing worked.

I’m awaiting a response from Spotsylvania County, VA as to how they calculate the tax for a car that is not gonna show up in the NADA.

I understand that this is a Maryland tax question but I’m posting it here for general awareness.

I’ll see what I can do on finding out in Maryland.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called FFR again yesterday and spoke with a different person who said I don’t have to pay sales tax when I pick up my kit. He said only MA residents have to pay taxes. Now I don’t know what to believe. Seems some people pay taxes and some don’t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Funny, I emailed the FFR folks today and the email specifically confirmed your first post info on the thread.

I also called Stewart Transportation and mentioned the same thing.

But this is even more interesting. You’re just gonna have to work it at the point of purchase.

In my case, I’m sold on using Stewart Transportation.

Man, I feel your pain on the uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by grabera7 View Post
    I called FFR again yesterday and spoke with a different person who said I don’t have to pay sales tax when I pick up my kit. He said only MA residents have to pay taxes. Now I don’t know what to believe. Seems some people pay taxes and some don’t.