Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coolant reservoir lines?

Post Thanks / Like

Coolant reservoir lines?

I’m ready to mount the FFR coolant reservoir, but not sure where the connectors and lines go? One to the side of the fill cap, but where does the other one go? There’s a couple different adapters and one with a long tube attached.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a close look inside your reservoir. One of the tubes attached to the bottom extends up inside the reservoir about 3/4 of the way up to the lid. The other tube is welded to the bottom, but does not extend into the reservoir. The tube that does not extend into the reservoir is the coolant recovery and is connected to the nozzle on coolant filler neck. The other is the reservoir overflow. I ran a short tube from this one to the bottom of the chassis tube to get the overflow below the car.
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYI, to put on your watch list when you start running the engine:

Many folks report the F5-provided reservoir doesn't provide enough capacity. Coolant expands past the overflow, dumps on the ground, and then when the engine cools down it sucks air into the system. Not good.

The solution is a larger reservoir. There are plenty of options here; I found a similar looking reservoir with larger capacity on Amazon (unfortunately, it's no longer listed so I can't include a link).

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    What John said above...I replaced mine with this one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-9133 from Summit. It is reasonably priced and looks just like the FFR supplied tank, except bigger, so it doesn't look out of place under the hood!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankb View Post
    What John said above...I replaced mine with this one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-9133 from Summit. It is reasonably priced and looks just like the FFR supplied tank, except bigger, so it doesn't look out of place under the hood!
    Thanks Frank. Any chance you can send a picture of yours installed?

Post Thanks / Like

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually calculated my coolant expansion to determine the size of recovery tank at 30.1oz to handle the expected expansion but I added a 10% safety margin so theoretically I should need <33 oz. So far that has worked, but your mileage may vary.

Assumptions: 4.5-gallon total capacity, 50% coolant, filled at 60-deg, max operating temp 220-deg.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build