Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: removing wiper arms

Post Thanks / Like

removing wiper arms

I need to remove the wiper arms from the wheel box splined shaft and for the life of me I can't remember what holds or locks them on the shaft. Any pointers?

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a retaining clip. Here is a screen shot of the wiper arm I found after a short Google search. I lift the wiper arm up and reach in with a small screw driver pull the clip out of the way and gently wiggle the wiper arm off the splined post. They can get stuck due to galvanic corrosion.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Norm. I did see the clip but I wasn't sure how to manipulate it. My wiper arms are really stuck on the shaft. I never even considered galvanic corrosion.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the arms off. Even after prying the clips out those arms were really stuck on the shafts. Thanks Norm.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you got them off. Clean the posts well and put a little anti seize on before re-installing them. If you push too hard to instal them you may have to push the point bearing on the back of the wheel box back in to ensure the cable engages without skipping.

6. Thanks Ross thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lifting the wiper arms

After bending the little clips back, the arms were still difficult to remove until, in frustration, I used a nail puller / pry bar to lift them straight up ... after I protected the body with a soft microfiber cloth. It didn't need any force but provided just the right direction.