Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Delrin washers added to shock assembly?

Post Thanks / Like

Delrin washers added to shock assembly?

Hi all,

On page 116 of the current assembly manual, there's an instruction to grease a delrin washer that sits between the spring and spring seat. In the upper right of the previous page, there's what appears to be an indication that these washers were added to the kit relatively late, in Dec. 2018.

My kit being one of the earliest ones, I don't have these washers, so my questions are:

* What is their importance? Is it advisable to do without one?
    * If it's better to have them, are they purchasable from Factory Five or other sources? Does one use the part number referenced in the table on page 115?

Much thanks for any guidance! Cheers,

Eric

delrin.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erachner View Post
    Hi all,

On page 116 of the current assembly manual, there's an instruction to grease a delrin washer that sits between the spring and spring seat. In the upper right of the previous page, there's what appears to be an indication that these washers were added to the kit relatively late, in Dec. 2018.

My kit being one of the earliest ones, I don't have these washers, so my questions are:

* What is their importance? Is it advisable to do without one?
    * If it's better to have them, are they purchasable from Factory Five or other sources? Does one use the part number referenced in the table on page 115?

Much thanks for any guidance! Cheers,

Eric

delrin.png
    They were added to allow for easier adjustment of ride height(ease in turning the collar). If you don't have them I wouldn't take the car apart to put them in.. in fact.... I don't have them and I am Not taking my car apart to add them
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve seen some shocks with needle thrust bearings between the spring and the nut. Theory is that as the spring compresses, it also slightly rotates. The claim is that the bearings free up your shock action somewhat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Y'all - thank you both for the informative explanations. I will sally forth with confidence (but not delrin washers.)