Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 Coupe Coyote Computer and Power Distribution Box location

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coupe Coyote Computer and Power Distribution Box location

Hey Guys,
    I am new to the forum and deep into the construction of a Gen 3 Coupe with a Gen 2 Coyote.

I would like to see where you guys mounted the Ford Performance Power Distribution Box and the Engine Computer.

I will be installing the FFR A/C so It limits the locations.

I am Thinking about mounting the Power Box on the front inside of the Passenger Footbox and the Computer on the back side of the cooling duct in front of the engine.

Your Suggestions and pictures would be great,

Post Thanks / Like
    My Gen 3 Coupe build thread shows where I mounted the components you're asking about. Link in my sig line below. It's a Gen 3 Coyote (2018+) but the components are similar to the Gen 2 Coyote which I previously installed in a Roadster. For the Coupe, I put the PDB on the firewall toward the driver side. Footbox might a little tight IMO. For the PCM, mine is on top of the PS. Functional, but not very elegant looking. But the Gen 3 PCM is somewhat larger than the Gen 2, and I prefer a Mustang style radiator expansion tank. So that limits the space you're talking about for the PCM. But I know of at least one build that did something similar as you're describing with a Gen 2 Coyote. Mine also has heat and A/C. Placement of the components you're asking about is important, of course. But IMO it's important to take into account also harness runs, power connections, what goes behind the dash, etc. I mocked everything up with the engine sitting on the mounts before finalizing anything. Good luck.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edward,

I would like to see where some of you other guys mounted the box and computer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoschton Hotrod Haus View Post
    Thanks Edward,

I would like to see where some of you other guys mounted the box and computer.
    I am building one now for SEMA- box is behind the dash, computer is mounted to the chassis behind the motor. This car has a/c as well. The ac goes in the passengers footwell

There is plenty of room behind the dash for the PDB .
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I centered the computer in the firewall with the PDB mounted in the engine bay below it. I was able to modify the harness so that the excess harness is coiled and hung above the trans out of sight. I have a little interference with the rear of the computer and the forward part of the headlight switch, but it is doable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jdavis500; 10-11-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll stay away from any further recommendations, since what I've done in two Coyote builds is explained in my build threads and summarized above. And certainly there are multiple ways to do this that work just fine. But just keep in mind, (1) the PDB does have user serviceable parts inside (fuses, relays, etc.) so needs to be accessible, (2) the PCM should also IMO be at least reasonably accessible and removable. If it ever needs to be re-flashed by Ford (has happened to me several times across the two builds) it has to be sent back to them. They turn it around pretty fast, usually in a day. But it has to be loose. My main advice, which I made in another post the OP of this thread, is mock up everything before finalizing your layout.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted my PDB in the same place as edwardb, but ended up mounting my computer differently: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...266#post375266