FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Type 65 coupe/TKO 600 shifter location

Post Thanks / Like

Type 65 coupe/TKO 600 shifter location

I recently ordered a gen3 type 65 coupe. I decided on the blueprint engines 306 and TKO 600 combo. My question is:
    Should I use the center shift option, or the stock rear shifter location? My priority is ergonomic shifting. I don’t mind the additional cost of the center shift or the additional step of cutting a tube for the rear shift. I just want the shifter in the best possible location.
    Thanks.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    mid shifter with a straight lever fits well with that drive train.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a mid shift looks like this. Follow my thread I should be dropping it in and I can take pictures of where it will land but here is a pic of it in the box

9611AFA9-2BCC-432C-9916-B7972223C72E.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    The "stock" shift position interferes with the diagonal bar on the Type65 chassis. You more or less NEED a midshift kit, unless you want to modify/cut that bar.

I have pictures of it if you'd like to send me an email. The forum picture loader never works for me or I'd post it up.

[email protected]
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePrintEngines View Post
    The "stock" shift position interferes with the diagonal bar on the Type65 chassis. You more or less NEED a midshift kit, unless you want to modify/cut that bar...
    Big generalization there. Just to make sure no one misunderstands, true for some combinations, but not for all. I realize the OP is asking about a SBF and with a TKO a midshift may be the best choice. Other engines however (e.g. Coyote) are shorter. Also the TKO rear position can be rotated 180 degrees to move it forward about an inch. Can sometimes make a difference. So it's not a one size fits all decision. Maybe being Mr. Obvious here. But would hate for someone to spring for the cost and teardown for a midshift when it's not necessary or might not even fit. Way off topic, but my Gen 3 build with a Coyote and T-56 required only the rear shifter to be rotated. Midshift is actually almost completely under the upper transmission tunnel cover, and would never fit.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Big generalization there.
    correct. My answer is with respect to a SBF, with a TKO600 in regards to the OP's question only. we offer the midshift as an option on our packages that comes pre installed if requested.
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263