Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: FFR Hood Hinge issue

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Hood Hinge issue

So car is complete, hood sits nice where it should but can't seem to stop it from coming up a bit in the front after a drive. When I close my hood, I find that I need to push the front of the hood near the hinges down to sit flat. Once I do it looks great. Figuring the hinges need to break in maybe thought they were to tight. When I take the car for a drive and I look at the front of the hood it's sitting up again. I push down and it sits back in place flush with the car. I've tried loosening the hinge bolts, greasing the shoulder bolts but it still does it. Could they be bound in anyway? Anyone have a similar experience with the FFR hood hinges?

Thanks,

Steve
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

2. Thanks brewha thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've experienced that too, but was able to get it to stay down. Agree the bolts shouldn't be too tight. But shouldn't be too loose either. Enough to where they move somewhat easily but without slop. Hopefully you've also ditched the wavey washers. In my experience (and others) those don't work well. Use washers (you may have to experiment some to find the right thicknesses) so the nuts are tight against the shoulder bolts with regular washers taking up the slack.

Some years ago in another forum post, learned about adjusting the hinges with the hood closed. That's always worked for me. Try this once you have the pivots adjusted per above. Slightly loosen the bolts holding the hinges on the frame. Enough that they would move when bumped but still stay. Then close the hood. Bump it down with your fist or flat hand. Maybe even slightly below where it should be. Then from the bottom tighten the bolts. Hard to reach maybe, but it's possible. Open and tighten the last bit. See if that's better. May need to try a couple times. Also you may need to do the same thing on the front-to-back bolts. I normally only try to adjust one direction at a time. Good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-12-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Paul....appreciate the advice. I'll give it a shot.

Hope all is well with the coupe!!
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    As Paul said. I experienced binding as well until I took da Bat’s advice and put either 2 or 3 thick washers on the shoulder bolts, left them just a bit loose and them tightened them down from underneath. It took a flex head ratchet and multiple extensions but was easily done.
    MKIV #8740, Canadian base kit, Picked up Dec. 2015, ‘98 Cobra 4.6 l DOHC, T45 transmission, old style IRS, Art Cuesta dieted harness/Ron Francis chassis harness, go-cart July 2018.