Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: body to firewall gap

Post Thanks / Like

body to firewall gap

I've just started fitting the body to the car. I have a 3/8" up and down gap on the driverside body to the firewall and the body wont come down. I've checked for any interference such as the master cylinders, but they clear. Has anybody else run into this?

I read the "dangerous curves ahead" as well as I the other fitment guides I can find. I also did the 1/4" notch already on the passenger side.

thoughts?

-Tony

gap.jpg

Update: so I studied all the posts and ended up with the same gap around the entire firewall. I shimmed the passenger side the 3/16" roughly and shifted the firewall so its even side to side. I then set the rear to the 45.5". I'm pretty happy thus far with the body fit. It's roughly within 1/8" to 1/16" tolerance on side to side and level front to back etc.
    My question now is at the door sills, do you pull those in tight (horizontally) with a screw in the original screw spots or just leave it in its relaxed state and shim the gaps then screw down. I worry if I you pull it in tight that the bottom of the door will stick out when I go to install them. thoughts?
    Last edited by tony; 10-13-2019 at 04:29 PM.