Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body Fitment

Post Thanks / Like

Body Fitment

I once again need advice of the group. I am getting ready to start the fitment process of my MK IV. I remember seeing some really great threads about the fitment/ bodywork stage but I neglected to bookmark or print them. If anyone can post links to their favorite threads that would be great. What are thoughts on replacing the truck with that of the 25th anniversary model seems as though the licence plate thing is an issue that has been resolved

Thanks
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    The following was something I captured that Jeff Kleiner posted:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I don't use the inside spacer tubes and let the trunk lid dictate the final rear distance as one of the last positioning adjustments. Here's my order---

Drop the body over the chassis and send it forward so that the body's door flange is just ahead of the chassis' striker tab as seen here:

If you haven't trimmed back the underside return of the cowl roll you may find that it hits the dash and won't let you get that far forward without doing so. Once the body is draped on I run lengths of all thread through the body and into the couplers at the rear. These are not tightened yet; they are just holding the tail up. I then move on to the front to install the QJ bolts and spacers and button them down to locate the nose (makes no difference whether you're using the early split type or the full length tubes). Next is the windshield and front splash panels. Now comes the fun part...the doors. Notice that I have not mentioned anything about locking down the body on the underside along the rocker panels. This is where lots of give & take comes into play because you are trying to strike a balance at 4 different places; the upper front of the door where it meets the cowl, the upper rear where it meets the rear cockpit opening, plus the lower front and lower rear. To further complicate things we're dealing with both horizontal as well as vertical interfaces along the upper part of the doors. Adjusting for one invariably affects at least one other. And people wonder why body men drink I've had the best luck adjusting for the door tops first. While dealing with the top area of the doors do not completely ignore the lower door edge's intersection with the main body but keep in mind that the lower body can be moved in/out independently with little to no effect to the upper cockpit openings. On both Mk3s and Mk4s I've found that the passenger door has been easier than the driver's side; once the adjustments were made to get the tops in order it just took a bit of outward movement to the lower body to have it meet the bottom edge of the door. On the other hand with the drivers side once the tops were fitting the bodies had to go in at the lower front corner of the doors and move out a great deal at the rear. I've found that these cars and bodies are quite consistent and one of those constants is that you'll need to push the rocker panel in as far as possible in front of the driver's door and pull it out at the rear. I can assure you that you aren't going to get all 4 corners to meet perfectly but your goal is to get them as close as possible so that they operate without interference and to minimize the bodywork necessary to match contours between the main body and moveable panels. Once you've accomplished that you lock down the body along the rocker panels and move on to the hood and trunk lid. The Mk4 trunk hinges allow movement in all axis so it's pretty straightforward to get it adjusted on the top and by using the coupler method for the bumper/QJ attachments along with nuts rather than spacers on the backside of the body you can move the valance in or out as necessary to match the bottom edge of the lid by adjusting the nuts on the inside in conjunction with spacer tubes outside. You may find that you need to trim back the rearmost lip of the trunk floor aluminum, and perhaps also the vertical edge of the trunk side aluminum to allow the valance to pull inward to meet the lid. For the hood I leave the hinges just loose enough to allow them to move somewhat freely then close and position it in the hole and get underneath and tighten the nuts.

That's what works for me---your mileage may vary

Jeff
    Last edited by Papa; 10-13-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

3. Thanks Ponymedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks that was one of the posts I remembered but could not find