FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LS Build w/ HVAC Mounting Fuel Regulator, Dryer, Remote Coils and Overflow Tank

Post Thanks / Like

LS Build w/ HVAC Mounting Fuel Regulator, Dryer, Remote Coils and Overflow Tank

Hi Everyone,

I have a LS build on a 33 Gen 2 and am trying to finalize placing my components on the firewall, but there is not a lot of space and wanted to see opinion or what others have done.

I will be installing remote coils since I do not want to cover up my valve covers. I will be using the space behind the engine mounts like this picture, but close to the bottom frame to stay away from the headers. (their headers go up) Due to this location already being used by the remote coils, the possibility of moving some of these other items to the frame become more difficult.

20181030_141258.jpg

The new overflow tank is smaller with a horizontal mount so it seems it is not meant to be installed on the radiator anymore; which used to use a vertical mount I believe. The only space I have to mount this would be to the left of the steering firewall flange bearing or below it. Pros/cons? Or is there a different mount to put it on the radiator/grill area.
    2019-10-13-10.09A.jpg
    2019-10-13-10.09.jpg

On the other side I have the Fuel Regulator, which I like the position of, and the dryer next to it. These are not the best pictures (they are taken off a video camera), but if you think the dryer is too close to the headers, then i could possibly have the left arm of the dryer go behind the 1/4 return line coming out of the regulator and bring the dryer more to the outside of the car so they are on top of each other..
    2019-10-13-09.46.jpg

An alternate position which I have seen on other cars is putting the dryer off the frame by the front of the engine, but I have not purchased my drive system yet and there is a lot of connection bolts on the engine in that space. (again, bad shot - I only have 2 hands...sorry sorry sorry- but you get the gist)
    2019-10-13-09.46b.jpg

Any advice? I am listening. Thanks.
    Street Rod Jim
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

Post Thanks / Like
    To help gain more mount space, I bought pipe clamp type mounts so I could mount items to the frame on the passenger side - just in front of your right hand in pic #4. I used them to mount the heater valve and the AC Dryer. Have a look at my build thread for details
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    To help gain more mount space, I bought pipe clamp type mounts so I could mount items to the frame on the passenger side - just in front of your right hand in pic #4. I used them to mount the heater valve and the AC Dryer. Have a look at my build thread for details
    Unfortunately, that is where the remote coils are going which is in the beginning of the post. Thanks.
    33 Hot Rod V2 Coupe, Extra Clearance Hood, Bike Fenders, Rear Exhaust, LS Engine

Post Thanks / Like
    To start with, I eliminated their terrible regulator and use the Corvette LS filter regulator combined https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...BoCWU0QAvD_BwE .

Secondly, my intention is to put all the air conditioning components in the taper of the floor, inside the car. I figure I will lose about 2 1/2 inches of total legroom, and then add a false floor. i’m building an open hooded hot rod and don’t want to see anything.

Finally, I mounted the overflow in between the frame braces on the firewall. Passenger side.

I don’t know if you saw my comments on your shock placement in the rear of your car, but they are supposed to be in the furthest back tabs. You’ll need to get Factory Five to send you the correct spacers. I double checked this with their engineer Jim directly. Otherwise the coils in shock bodies hit the axle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    You’ll need to get Factory Five to send you the correct spacers. I double checked this with their engineer Jim directly. Otherwise the coils in shock bodies hit the axle.
    I did. I sent them an email to see what is up. I was told the opposite. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t know why the tail is wagging the dog. The spacers you used are the same they sent me the first time and second time until I talked to Jim Schenck. I spent a bunch of time on the phone with him and he sent me the spacers to mount the coil overs in the back slot. The team doesn’t seem to have the detail right yet. I had the same conversation that you had early on and got wrong info too.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k