Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Need Power Steering Rack guidance

Post Thanks / Like

Need Power Steering Rack guidance

Hello All. Thanks in advance for your help. I've got a Mk4 Base kit but I bought most of the components from FFR. Didn't get the Power Steering Rack from them though. I'm ready to buy and install the Power Steering Rack. I would appreciate your thoughts and advice about which rack to buy. I've seen Cardone re-manufactured and new parts on Advance Auto, Summit, etc. I won't cheap out on this (or any) part for my car. Some reviews on the Cardon reman parts say that they leak. Any guidance would be appreciated. New vs. Reman? Which manufacturer? Where to buy? 1993 rack vs. newer? Thanks again.

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the 101-0106 from O'Reilly. About $100 bucks and if you really want to, you can use the breeze offset bushings by removing the rubber bushings that come in the rack. It's just under 3 turns lock to lock. Make sure your power steering pump pressure is 800 psi. Any more and you will have a scary ride at 60 mph when you try to make any inputs to the wheel (ask me how I know). I used a front end kit from CVF racing for my pulleys and pump. Hose kit was on amazon for $30 and had everything you needed except the rack port adapters.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

4. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something to consider with your rack selection. I've seen differences with non-FFR racks that folks have installed that really made me glad I bought the rack from FFR. One is the length of the rods and the other is the rubber bellows/boots. I can't say for sure what FFR does differently, but their rack is a good, simple fit.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

6. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdonnel View Post
    I used the 101-0106 from O'Reilly. About $100 bucks and if you really want to, you can use the breeze offset bushings by removing the rubber bushings that come in the rack. It's just under 3 turns lock to lock. Make sure your power steering pump pressure is 800 psi. Any more and you will have a scary ride at 60 mph when you try to make any inputs to the wheel (ask me how I know). I used a front end kit from CVF racing for my pulleys and pump. Hose kit was on amazon for $30 and had everything you needed except the rack port adapters.

Scott
    Thanks Scott. I truly appreciate your input. Kinda nervous to ask you about the 60mph ride.

8. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Something to consider with your rack selection. I've seen differences with non-FFR racks that folks have installed that really made me glad I bought the rack from FFR. One is the length of the rods and the other is the rubber bellows/boots. I can't say for sure what FFR does differently, but their rack is a good, simple fit.
    Thanks Papa. I think I will call FFR in the morning and see what they have for me. I do like the idea of putting their parts in the the car. On another note, I've been following your build thread. Amazing work. Love the color of your car. Can't wait to see the body on it.

10. Thanks Papa thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I replaced my rack a few years ago with a Mustang standard "non-performance" rack and have had no problems with it. I have the Breeze offset bushings which help in centering the rack. I use the standard Mustang pump with a CFR Bracket. I run a GM Type II pump on my 37 but you have to put a kit in it to lower the pressure for the Mustang rack. Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw a Factory Five rack, purchase theirs. As mentioned it already has the extensions and the bellows do not need to be replaced. Quality unit.

Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgoode View Post
    I replaced my rack a few years ago with a Mustang standard "non-performance" rack and have had no problems with it. I have the Breeze offset bushings which help in centering the rack. I use the standard Mustang pump with a CFR Bracket. I run a GM Type II pump on my 37 but you have to put a kit in it to lower the pressure for the Mustang rack. Scott
    Thanks Scott. After reading a couple of responses, I'm probably going to go with the FFR rack. Less headaches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post
    Just saw a Factory Five rack, purchase theirs. As mentioned it already has the extensions and the bellows do not need to be replaced. Quality unit.

Mick
    Thanks Mick. I already sent an email to FFR. Gonna buy theirs. Less of a headache.

15. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Electric Power Steering?

Have you thought about electric power steering? You can use the manual rack if you go this route. Electric power steering has good reviews as far as I've seen. It's on my modification list for this winter!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure what FFRs power rack is these days.

In general, the remanufactured racks from the big parts stores seem to be hit or miss. But they are cheap. They often aren't even the correct ratio as stated on the box. How's that for quality control?
    Ford made serious improvements for the SN95 racks. The Cobra R rack is the holy grail, but they are long gone. Companies like AFR, are producing racks to the Cobra R specs. Not cheap, but great feel. (This is what I have). My rack has been good, except when a hard line started leaking. I was able to replace it with AN fittings and hose. I would definitely go for an SN95 rack over a Fox.
    Electric is getting better, but loses some feel. The older stuff is pretty numb. Not at fan....yet. Unless you are going to pull the unit from a 2020 high performance car.

There is a spring mod for Ford P/S pumps that reduces the boost. Only takes minutes to do and is free.

The ratio will make a huge difference in how the car feels. I have a quick rack for autocross. I rarely have to lift a hand off the wheel. It does make it fast reacting on the highway. But you get used to it. The correct alignment specs for P/S help it track better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick Ratio Steering Rack

I used this reference for guidance. http://www.svtperformance.com/thread...get-it.680429/
    I purchase a Cardone 22-2000 (The '03-'04 cobra quick ratio rack) from Advanced Auto and confirmed the correct ratio when I received it. Note that in the reference article I believe that the rack called out as SPR VT for the '00 Cobra R is actually for the 2001 V6.
    MK4 #9191, Gen 3 Coyote, T56, 2015+ IRS, ABS, 12.88 Wilwood's, FFR Tubular Front LCA's, FFR Spindles

19. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I called the http://www.epowersteering.com/ folk and, for the MK4, you’re expected to cut part of the shaft. The kit also has a potentiometer so you can control the setting for “feel”. I have not installed this system and cannot give feedback. However, I’m on the planning/research phase and I’m opting out of this option and going for the FFR hydraulic system looking for a system that I’m more used to working on.

Quote Originally Posted by swwebb View Post
    Have you thought about electric power steering? You can use the manual rack if you go this route. Electric power steering has good reviews as far as I've seen. It's on my modification list for this winter!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Local parts racks are very hit and miss. I have used may for mustang projects and I have had to take a few back for another try.