Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New/old memeber from MI

Post Thanks / Like

New/old memeber from MI

Hi All,

Thought I'd introduce myself finally. I've been lurking here since 2015 when I sold my Pontiac Solstice GXP and started looking for another "fun" car to play with. I've always liked the roadster style cars and have been in love with the Cobras ever since I was a kid. The Solstice was great car for the twisty roads and I had done some minor improvements to it over the years I had it. It was around 320hp and 290tq when I sold it. I always hoped GM would refine it more and I could get a new model eventually. But when they killed it and Pontiac I decided it was time to look elsewhere for my fix.

Since an original Cobra was not in the budget. I was trying to buy a 1972 Corvette that belonged to a friend of the family since new. He used to take me for rides in it and to his autocross events before I was even tall enough to see over the dash. So I blame him for giving me the bug. He ended up selling it to someone else without letting me know first so I missed out.

Not too long after that I was at the Frankenmuth Autofest here in MI and came across a couple of Cobras. When I started talking to one of the owners he told me it was a kit car from FF. I was amazed that it did not look like any kit car I had seen before. In fact it didn't look like a kit at all. He was happy to show me the car and answer a few of my questions that day. I went home an immediately started looking at FF and other cobra replica makers. Finding out that I could buy a replica or build one was awesome. Most of the old muscle cars have gotten to the price point that if I spent that much money on one I'd be afraid to drive it. The idea of building my own so that I know every nut and bolt of the car just makes sense to me and being able to upgrade or change things after it is complete is nice to. So I'm 100% on board for doing this.

I put it off for the last few years as I realized that the small two car garage in my condo was not going to work for a build that may take me 2-3 years to complete. Last winter I sold the condo and bought a house with an oversize 3 car garage. So now that I don't have that excuse I guess I need to start the saving/planning phase. In the meantime I will work on getting the garage organized and ready.

Jeff
    Last edited by jlw; 10-15-2019 at 09:37 AM.

2. Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Where in Michigan are you? I'm in the Grand Rapids area and am only just starting on my build. There are a few others in this area that I am aware of, and several over on the east side of the state as well.
    MK4 Complete Kit #9673 | Ordered: 08/07/2019 | Pickup: 08/24/2019
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...IRS-Build-9673

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, this must be the day for Michigan guys. I'm in Grand Rapids as well. I have 3 friends in GR that have FFRs in various stages of construction or completion. There are a bunch of guys in the Detroit area. There's probably a central location for coffee or a burger sometime.

Building, albeit very slowly, a Challenge Car.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm near Howell. Not far from the build school. I plan to take the class when I get closer to pulling the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from Armada, Michigan. Good to see another Michigander on the forum.
    MkIV Complete Kit #9423, Gen 3 Coyote, TKO-600, IRS Torsen 3.73, Wilwoods, DA Konis - Delivered 9/14/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too far from you in Lake Orion. Lots of activity in the area. Check out the Great Lakes Cobra Club, if you haven't already. Great group with a number of Factory Fives.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Not too far from you in Lake Orion. Lots of activity in the area. Check out the Great Lakes Cobra Club, if you haven't already. Great group with a number of Factory Fives.
    I've checked out the club website. Would love to come to one of your meet ups and see the cars. A little late in the season this year so I'll have to wait until spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I've checked out the club website. Would love to come to one of your meet ups and see the cars. A little late in the season this year so I'll have to wait until spring.
    You are going to find a lot of great people here, and lots who like to help you spend your money!! LOL
    So I'll be the first.....what are you waiting for!!!!

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...601#post384601

Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#9579 View Post
    You are going to find a lot of great people here, and lots who like to help you spend your money!! LOL
    So I'll be the first.....what are you waiting for!!!!

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...601#post384601

Higgy
    Oooh that is tempting. Almost what I would order too. But I am still at least a year out form being ready for it. I have quite a few projects on the new house that I need to finish first so that I can concentrate fully on the car when it arrives. I know once I start building it everything else will take a backseat.