FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: NEW 25th Anniversary Roadster Builder!

Post Thanks / Like

NEW 25th Anniversary Roadster Builder!

Hello all,

I just completed final parts check-in for my 25th Anniversary Roadster kit and super excited to get started now that life has settled down a bit. I am surfing through the forum and trying to learn as much as I can from you experienced builders... apologies in advance for all of the dumb newbie questions!

First ones are to help ensure that I am ordering the necessary add-on's before the build;
    1) Using the Wilwood brake system, do I need to add power brake option and what exactly is required?
    2) Intending to use Coyote Gen 3 + TKO 600 tranny package, what do I need to upgrade to hydraulic clutch?

Thanks in advance to all responders,

Jeff

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've built 4 roadsters, a coupe and a GTM, none of which had power brakes and I never felt they were needed. However, my son who grew up with power brakes couldn't believe how much pressure was required to stop the car. Personally I like the solid brake feel. Currently building a 33 and will not have power brakes.

4. Thanks Jdauble thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m building a 25th too and don’t plan on doing power brakes. Read lots of people say with the Wilwoods they are not required... Although I have no driving experience yet to go by.

What part of Minneapolis are you in?
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. I'm the very proud owner of serial number 3 of the 20th Anniversary Roadsters. Love the car in general and the anniversary aspect just makes it that much cooler. You're going to love yours too. But you have a journey ahead. You didn't need me to tell you that, right? For your questions:

1. Power brakes: Just responded to this question on another thread. Adding power brakes to the supplied Wilwood pedal box setup means not using the supplied front and back master cylinders and balance bar setup. Instead the pedal box needs to be modded with a pushrod and a conventional dual master cylinder plus booster mounted on front of the footbox. Mike Forte is one vendor who can do the mod. Another option is a kit from Whitby Motorcars in NC. If a vacuum booster is used, likely would need to do a minor frame mod. Hydroboost, using the same hydraulic pump as power steering, is another choice. Nothing about this is particularly complicated or difficult. But it's not insignificant. Plus eliminates the balance bar which can be very useful for adjusting the proper front/rear brake bias. I've done power brakes on a couple builds and agree it's nice. But last two have been manual and both have the high end Wilwoods just like your Anniversary edition. Once you get used to the heavier pedal, it's fine IMO. Tons of stopping power and options to adjust with different pad compounds. You'll get lots of opinions on this topic.

2. Hydraulic clutch: Probably most common is the kit supplied by Mike Forte. Replaces the quadrant modification provided by Factory Five with a master cylinder in the Wilwood pedal box (it's made for it) and a slave cylinder attached in the bell housing area that pulls the clutch arm the same as a cable would. I've installed three of them. It's a good setup, although I've ended up using different master cylinders two times to get the throw just the way I wanted it. Once you know the exact bell housing and transmission you'll be using, Mike can provide the appropriate kit. Another option is a direct hydraulic throw-out bearing. Not done very often and many will recommend against it. But kind of the norm on OE designs now. I'm going for it on my Coupe build using a Tilton 60-6104 Hydraulic Release Bearing (HRB). Not on the road yet, and only a couple miles driving around our neighborhood during the build. Like it so far. But too early to say I'd recommend without caution. Just giving you an idea of the options.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-16-2019 at 06:57 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

7. Thanks Aircontroller, Jdauble thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jeff, I'll be following along on your build! I ordered the 25th Anniversary Roadster too and look forward to you and others who are building them. Enjoy the journey and joy as you progress along...

Dj

9. Likes Jdauble, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by delta0014 View Post
    I’m building a 25th too and don’t plan on doing power brakes. Read lots of people say with the Wilwoods they are not required... Although I have no driving experience yet to go by.

What part of Minneapolis are you in?
    Delta0014.. just north of the Twin Cities in Ham Lake... you're Atlanta area?

11. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdauble View Post
    Delta0014.. just north of the Twin Cities in Ham Lake... you're Atlanta area?

Yea, we're in Atlanta but moved here from the Twin Cities. Was in Shakopee when we moved down here.
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to add the power brake setup from Whitby, I can't remember the last time I drove a car without power brakes - plus I'll be running electric power steering, so I'll have to run from the vacuum from the coyote to power this...

https://cobradreams.com/2019/11/20/b...ystem-options/
    Last edited by toadster; 12-14-2019 at 07:28 AM.
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by delta0014 View Post
    Yea, we're in Atlanta but moved here from the Twin Cities. Was in Shakopee when we moved down here.
    I'm about 2 hours east of you. Id love to meet up sometime and see your build. I just ordered today so I am looking for some owners in the GA/SC area to converse with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsond003 View Post
    I'm about 2 hours east of you. Id love to meet up sometime and see your build. I just ordered today so I am looking for some owners in the GA/SC area to converse with.
    Anytime your in the area, you’re more then welcome to stop by and check it out.
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!!!

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby