Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering angle different left-right

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Steering angle different left-right

Has anyone else had issues with their tire hitting on one side and not the other? My 818 hits the side of the frame/front firewall/coolant pipe when turned to lock on the right side but not when turning left. I haven't seen this mentioned frequently. My alignment settings on both sides are about the same and I'm running the FFR recommended size front tire.

Any suggestions? Do I just limit the steering rack with a spacer somehow?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't own an 818, but a Cobra Roadster . . . sounds like the toe-in was set without "centering the rack", although "alignment" has nothing to do with steering in that respect - two separate but connected systems.

Find the center of your rack by turning the steering wheel to full right and then count the turns all the way back to full left. Split that number in half and turn the steering wheel to that position. Don't pay any attention to it's orientation at this time. Now your rack is dead center as far as turns left and right and will produce the same turning circle in either direction. Lock the steering wheel at this dead center position and check your toe-in . . . this is where you adjust for your wheels being straight ahead when the rack is dead centered. Lastly, adjust the steering wheel to proper orientation for straight ahead.

All that being said, a spacer will "limit" the side that is rubbing . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

3. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsfourwheeler View Post
    Has anyone else had issues with their tire hitting on one side and not the other? My 818 hits the side of the frame/front firewall/coolant pipe when turned to lock on the right side but not when turning left. I haven't seen this mentioned frequently. My alignment settings on both sides are about the same and I'm running the FFR recommended size front tire.

Any suggestions? Do I just limit the steering rack with a spacer somehow?
    The early frames had an issue with the rack not being in the center of the car. I don't know if or when they fixed this issue.

P1040613s.jpg

I suspect this might not be your issue. If you don't have your rack exactly in the middle when you mount your steering wheel. You will get more travel in one direction compared to the other way.
    Typically, from straight, you should get 1.5 turns each way.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

5. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It seems like the rack might be slightly off center. I will try to reset toe while changing the rack-wheel centering so that it is offset more to the driver's side that isn't hitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the same exact issue, my rack is about 1/4" off center and the front tires slightly rub on the frame at full lock even though I'm using recommended tire sizes. One side is slightly worse than the other but can't remember which. I was going to machine some spacers over the winter and limit the rack.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some 818 guys installed rack limiters. I did on all 3 I built.

9. Thanks DSR-3 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Some 818 guys installed rack limiters. I did on all 3 I built.
    Tom, were those off the shelf rack limiters or custom? Any chance you could point me to a post? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Tom, were those off the shelf rack limiters or custom? Any chance you could point me to a post? Thanks
    I bought some rings from Tractor supply. I think they list them as shaft collars but don't quote me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I second this. Any tips or examples on what to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsfourwheeler View Post
    I second this. Any tips or examples on what to use?
    I suggest measure the rack diameter and go to Tractor supply and buy what you need. That is what I did.

14. Thanks STiPWRD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I suggest measure the rack diameter and go to Tractor supply and buy what you need. That is what I did.
    I'll give that a shot, thanks Tom. My shaft diameter is 0.950" from my notes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give that a shot, thanks Tom. My shaft diameter is 0.950" from my notes.
    You can also cut PVC pipe to the length you need, split it and slip over the shaft. Simple and cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    You can also cut PVC pipe to the length you need, split it and slip over the shaft. Simple and cheap.
    Thanks, I thought about using PVC but it makes me a bit nervous to use plastic - I feel like it will crack and disintegrate over time with enough temperature cycles and getting squeezed on U-turns. PVC is usually in a much more stable environment when used for piping but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I researched "shaft collars" per Tom and think I found exactly what I was looking for:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-DOUBLE-...53.m2749.l2649
    shaft collar.jpg
    $10.69 for a 4-pack

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I thought about using PVC but it makes me a bit nervous to use plastic - I feel like it will crack and disintegrate over time with enough temperature cycles and getting squeezed on U-turns. PVC is usually in a much more stable environment when used for piping but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I researched "shaft collars" per Tom and think I found exactly what I was looking for:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-DOUBLE-...53.m2749.l2649
    shaft collar.jpg
    $10.69 for a 4-pack
    I would appreciate seeing a picture of these installed when you get to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I would appreciate seeing a picture of these installed when you get to it.
    Certainly. These should be arriving soon. It's funny, I didn't know these shaft collars existed so I actually designed something nearly identical and printed them on my neighbor's 3d printer to do a fit check. I was about to draw them up and have a machine shop make them but come to find out they are readily available and cheap - go figure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly. These should be arriving soon. It's funny, I didn't know these shaft collars existed so I actually designed something nearly identical and printed them on my neighbor's 3d printer to do a fit check. I was about to draw them up and have a machine shop make them but come to find out they are readily available and cheap - go figure!
    I need some of those shaft collars on a harness bar to keep the shoulder strap in the correct place.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought F5R100064ES already assembled (5th owner if you count the dealer from a trade-in) and was getting ready to post about this issue as I am getting ready to submit the car for certification in NJ. Same as fletch, I would really appreciate an update/pictures also to see if this resolves my issue.