Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Deluxe 32 grille and surround fitment

Post Thanks / Like

Deluxe 32 grille and surround fitment

I got the 32 front end with my truck kit and the grille insert doesn’t fit into the fiberglass surround. It’s going to need some fiberglass removed to make the insert drop in. I was expecting some tweaking and trimming, but it seems way off. Has anyone else encountered this? What is the best way to remove material on the inside where the insert drops in? I can’t get it to lay flat enough to even mark it without it moving around because of the odd shape, and it looks like I am going to have to remove a lot of glass on the top and bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    That will just be the beginning, welcome to the fun. You may even find yourself having to add fiberglass in some places on the body (at least thats the case with the hot rod).
    The approach I'm taking in removing material is as follows
    - cutting the fiberglass for removal of significant large strips
    - grinder with a flap disk for easy to get at areas, inside or outside
    - a drum sander for tweaking and hard to get at areas

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 32 grill for my 33 roadster. The grill fits snug but does not require any mods to the fiberglass. Maybe you got a bad radiator surround? These are built by a lot of suppliers -- I wonder if FFR just out sources these as mine is a different gelcoat than the rest of the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan View Post
    I got the 32 front end with my truck kit and the grille insert doesn’t fit into the fiberglass surround. It’s going to need some fiberglass removed to make the insert drop in. I was expecting some tweaking and trimming, but it seems way off. Has anyone else encountered this? What is the best way to remove material on the inside where the insert drops in? I can’t get it to lay flat enough to even mark it without it moving around because of the odd shape, and it looks like I am going to have to remove a lot of glass on the top and bottom.
    Alaskan, did you get this resolved? I ask because I ordered the standard grill but they sent me the deluxe grill surround, they are going to send me the correct one and said they do not want this one back. I really don't think I would have a use for it so if you want it I could send it to you if you cover the shipping cost.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll send you a PM
    FFR Hot Rod Truck #79
    Gen III Coyote with 6R80 A/T