Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Question on Engine Choice Before Buying Truck Kit ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question on Engine Choice Before Buying Truck Kit ?

Hi all...looking forward to buying the 35 truck kit in the near future.

I am a bit confused one whether you need to choose your engine before you purchase the kit, or can you purchase kit first knowing that any of the engine choices will be OK to install ?

Sorry for the dumb question...but I'm sure I'll have more !

JB

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning on buying a 35 kit in the near future myself. I already figured out which engine and trans I will be using. They don't make mounts for my engine choice so I wasn't worried to much about it. I was planning on modifying the mounts to make it work. From my understanding the frame is somewhat modular but mounts are engine and trans specific. I am not sure if the mounts are bolted in or welded. If they are welded in then you will want to know which engine you are planning on using. It is always best to know ahead of time to know what engine and trans so you can start sourcing parts.
    Last edited by FLJackrabbit; 10-17-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have my kit yet - it's due next week - but when I ordered you had to specify which engine and transmission type you were planning to use. In looking at the PDF copy of the build manual they provided after I ordered it appears to me that the attach points on the chassis are fixed but the engine mounts they provide are different based on what type engine you specify when ordering.

Sorry I can't be more certain as I don't have my kit yet.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Knowing the engine and trans type will get you the correct mounts, headers, and driveshaft with the kit.
    You could probably order the kit and have FFR hold off on sending you those parts till you know what you're gonna use. Call them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone...that’s exactly what I was looking for...now I need to figure out engine and tranny before I order the kit..so many options to look at

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of these would fit and have lots of "fun factor".

https://blueprintengines.com/products/454-ci-proseries-stroker-crate-engine-small-block-gm-dressed-longblock-carburetor-ps4541ctc

Or, one of these for a few dollars more.

https://www.shafiroff.com/chevy-pump-gas-engine/434-bigdawg-hr.php

Want an old school Ford, try these guys. Might have some trouble getting it adapted to a TKO-600, but it would sure up the cool factor.

https://handhflatheads.com/turn-key-engines/
    Last edited by NAZ; 10-17-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Ford Flathead with a TKO trans idea. I always liked the look of a flathead. I plan on going with a VW 1.9 TDI ALH with a GM TKO 600. My goal is to get over 50 mpg and it be my daily driver.

8. Likes NAZ, ztoolman44, FlyFactoryFive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLJackrabbit View Post
    I am planning on buying a 35 kit in the near future myself. I already figured out which engine and trans I will be using. They don't make mounts for my engine choice so I wasn't worried to much about it. I was planning on modifying the mounts to make it work. From my understanding the frame is somewhat modular but mounts are engine and trans specific. I am not sure if the mounts are bolted in or welded. If they are welded in then you will want to know which engine you are planning on using. It is always best to know ahead of time to know what engine and trans so you can start sourcing parts.
    The transmission could also be an issue if you have to modify the space/tunnel to get it to fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    True, you need to finalize the drivetrain components before taking delivery. For the reasons mentioned, e.g. motor mounts, headers, driveshaft, etc. You can still order the kit without being positive though. Talk through the options with Factory Five when you order and give it your best shot. They will contact you to confirm everything right before your kit goes into production. Until then you can make changes. I made several changes on my #8674 Roadster during that time. Each time I apologized and each time they said it happens all the time. So don't feel locked in by the initial order process.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FLJackrabbit View Post
    I like the Ford Flathead with a TKO trans idea. I always liked the look of a flathead. I plan on going with a VW 1.9 TDI ALH with a GM TKO 600. My goal is to get over 50 mpg and it be my daily driver.
    Speedway has a flathead to T-5 adapter . Better, cheaper option than TKO. Also they have an Auto Trans adapter
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

12. Likes ztoolman44 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I opted for the BluePrint 347 / tko 600 . It slipped right in first try- probably the easiest part of the build so far; didn't see any reason to reinvent the wheel, IMG_1396.jpgIMG_1396.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel source

Quote Originally Posted by VIRGIN MIKE View Post
    I opted for the BluePrint 347 / tko 600 . It slipped right in first try- probably the easiest part of the build so far; didn't see any reason to reinvent the wheel, IMG_1396.jpgIMG_1396.jpg
    Mike, your build looks great. Where did you get the wire wheels and what size are they?
    Thanks, Frank

15. Likes ztoolman44 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wheelsmith
    Bob Rex
    800 854 8937
    951 898 4563
    [email protected]
    4 - 18 X 8 wires w/ V8 hubcaps

they are the same ones as the blue factory truck