BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: My introduction and some words of thanks too!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking My introduction and some words of thanks too!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Doug J. Sandin or (Dj) for short and I'm relatively new to the forum. I figure it was time and I would take a moment and “break the ice” or “mark the pavement” as they say, and introduce myself and provide some background as to why I signed up on this awesome Factory Five Forum! I’ve been out on the forum for this past year just observing and learning from everyone. I’ve been reading, studying, bookmarking, and taking many notes and just trying to keep up daily with the information and topics that are being discussed. I figured now was the time to drive-in and start posting! My introduction was seven pages long, going on eight – sheesh! Yeah, I know! So instead I’ll add some of the more in-depth part of my story about Ol’ Blue throughout my build. Here’s the condensed version. Sorry, it’s still a little long. For a short version, skip to the bottom. For an even shorter one, don’t read it! Anyway, here goes…

I live in Greeley, Colorado. Greality for us locals! I enjoy working on vehicles and I’ve had the passion since I was very young. I can weld and fabricate, turn a wrench, and I will do the nastier jobs which require a few choice words at times. I consider myself and artist and designer at heart, for which I strive for excellence, perfection and something unique and new. I’m not afraid to go outside the box and cross over the lines for that matter. I’ll pretty much take on any challenge! From automotive to construction, plumbing and electrical, I pretty much like to say I can do it all. My favorite thing to do though is just create, build and make something that captures one’s attention, but also captivates one’s own thoughts and leaves you wondering… Oh, and I currently work with computers for my day job.

Anyway, I once owned; a 56 Ford Pickup, a Mustang and Mustang GT and few other vehicles that I just drove around. I currently have my Jeep Wrangler and a Ford Ranger. I do enjoy the mechanic role and perform all maintenance on our vehicles, minus the Honda CRV. No, not because it’s a Honda, but more so that I want the dealer to have an official record of the maintenance for when we go to trade it for something newer. I’ve pulled several engines and more than a few transmissions to swap several clutches over the years. I still prefer a manual over an automatic any day! I’ve rebuilt my Jeep’s rear-end and done various engine tasks, swapping or replacing; intake manifolds, heads, headers, water pumps, I’ve rebuilt a couple carbs and can find my way around a vehicle both inside and out pretty well. I’ve also added my lift and all the other “4x4 goodies” that I put on my (rig) Jeep.

As I mentioned, I used to own a 56 Ford Pickup called Ol’ Blue! I loved it! I had only begun to customize it back when I was much younger than I am today. (More on that story in my future build.) I got married and we had children and when the times were tough and the money tight, I had to sell Ol’ Blue. And to this day, I still miss my old truck! Now, part of the deal to sell Ol’ Blue was I would eventually be able to get an FFR Roadster; whether I would just out right buy one or be fortunate enough to build it. I really wanted one and at “some point” down the road, I would get one. And, well, after 30 plus years of looking… I think I finally found “some point!” And that essentially that is why I am here!

I want to thank my wife Jill, who I love dearly! Jill, you have been so supportive and understanding in allowing me to pursue my dream and take these steps in this fantastic journey that awaits both of us. I can’t thank you enough for all your love and dedication over-the-years. With your help, we raised our children to be very successful and much of their beautiful character comes directly from your guidance and teaching. Together, we are approaching our 30th year Anniversary next year and it’s been a wonderful ride. Jill, I just can’t imagine my life without you! Thanks for always being there for me and the kids, in the difficult times and the better one’s too. I love you so very much!!!

I also want to give thanks to everyone out here on the Factory Five Forum! I’ve gained so much knowledge and respect for those who are posting and teaching and sharing... With all the various suggestions and ideas that builders implement, it just adds to this community of really great people! For me to finally walk in the steps of giants and follow the paths (build threads) of others it’s the most valuable map & compass anyone could have to utilize! I’m very grateful for all of those who have contributed and documented their builds; including the pitfalls and difficult parts to understand, along with their suggestions and ideas to make something easier to implement or even a better overall solution. And even the information that floods in daily, with all helpful feedback and advice, that knowledge that is shared to help out each person with the specific problem(s) and difficultly of that issue they are dealing with is phenomenal. All the positive feedback and communication, it’s what makes the Factory Five Forum so cool! So, Thanks to each and every one of You!

While I am on this topic, I’ll send thanks to the many vendors that are out here and represented. I appreciate their dedication to a specialty line of products or just the one-off-item(s) that can give a builder other option(s) and perhaps help them customize their car or truck a little more special. I’m sure I’ll be getting several items from many of you as well.

And last, but surely not least, Dave Smith! I want to give a special thanks and shout out to you, Dave! You and all of the Factory Five Racing Employees and the FFR Family for making this possible for me! It’s was you, your brother and now this incredible team at FFR; who has created and built this wonderful foundation, one that provides an excellent starting place for anyone who wants to begin and take a fantastic journey to build their very own dream car or truck. I’m still numb from the shock and overwhelmed with joy! I’m honored beyond belief and of course, very humbled as well. “I’ve been given this special opportunity to fulfill this lifelong dream of mine!” I know I’m not the first to say that, and I surely won’t be the last!

Dave, I can only wish for you, your family and the extended families within Factory Five Racing, all the best in success, health and happiness. May both the FFR Company and the FFF Community, grow exponentially with great success and endless possibilities…

Now, with all that said I can officially announce that I became an owner and soon to be builder of the famous Factory Five Racing Mk4 Roadster! I expedited my 2020 plans, in which I was preparing to order a Mk4 Complete Kit mid-year and possibly I would try and get in the queue to purchase the 25th Edition? So, with the recent announcement from FFR regarding the 25th and with the support of both my wife and help from FFR too, I was able to expedite my plan and I placed an order for one the 25th Anniversary Mk4 Roadsters. I can honestly say I now know, I can actually feel and experience the infamous “FFR Smile” and grin that just seems to get applied on a builder & owner’s face. It’s such great feeling! How do I know I have it? I just can’t stop smiling! Heck, I don’t even have my kit yet.

So again, Thanks Jill for all your support! Thanks to everyone here on the FFF Community for all the great advice and guidance, the information and camaraderie is priceless! Thanks to all those who work at the FFR Company and do their part to make our dreams come true! And Thank You, Dave! Thanks for everything!!!

Sincerely,

Douglas John Sandin - (Dj/ydousurf)

2. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on making the decision to purchase a 25th anniversary edition.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your dream car JD...welcome to the forum and with that intro I can't wait to read the write ups of your build...

Jet

Post Thanks / Like
    DJ -- Welcome neighbor! I'm just an hour or so south of you in Parker (a few miles N/E of downtown actually). My car is quickly nearing the finish line and will be back from Jeff Kleiner's in Indiana getting his expert body and paint treatment next week. Enjoy the build and congrats on scoring a 25th Anniversary edition!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

6. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Doug/Jet/Dave - Thanks for having me!
    I'm just so honored to be here and in such excellent company! If you or anyone for that matter, see's me poking around some more on their profile's, I've been just looking at what everyone has done on their cars or truck builds. I'm fascinated with some of the more complex and unique ways of taking their builds to another level. Either way, I'll start leaving comments instead of just leaving my foot (id: ydousurf) print.

Jet & Dave, I'll have to jump out and see what you have posted too! I honestly love all the kits that FFR has released! All though I'm partial to the roadster (it goes back to my childhood,) I absolutely love what anyone is doing to build their respective dream car or truck. The 818/GTM/33/Type65/HotRod/Truck, they're all so very cool!

Dave, "Papa" which I love that name! Very special no doubt to have that as a title! I have specifically watched your car evolve or this past year that I've been on here. Perhaps one day I would love to come down meet you and your beautiful dream in person? I hope my build is as rewarding and as stunning as to what you've done. I love the color choice too! That's a very pretty blue and white combo!

Again, thanks guys! I'm super excited and looking forward to the future and I know I'll just really enjoy the entire build process step-by-step. And with that, I still have more threads, builds and fellow FFF community members pages to visit. I know my weekend task is to begin cleaning my garage and to get the body/chassis bucks to built. With winter ever coming closer here in Colorado, I want to be prepared for just in case it's snowing by the time my kit arrives. Thanks again for any and all support! I can't wait to get started and begin building memories...

Dj

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. I’m enjoying my MK-IV and the people I meet at car events, but have to admit, I miss the build. It’s a great experience. Keep us posted. Look forward to seeing that 25th anniversary car come together.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve, thanks! And I appreciate your support! Yeah, I think the build will no doubt be the best part! That and meeting some great people and making new friends too! I do know that I am in no hurry and plan on a 3-4 year build. As much as anyone wants to get it done and drivable, I want to make sure I take extra care and try and put together a world class build, worthy of the 25years for FFR. I know the build will be the best part, since I don't think I will get to do another one. So, I really do just want to savor the every step of the way in the journey. I turned 50 this past year, so it's kind of like a B-Day gift/early retirement present for me. I do plan to have it on the road in gelcoat, that is, until I can have it painted by Jeff or Jeff for my 55th.

Dj

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Doug,
    Welcome to the madness... These people on the forum are AWESOME and will help you build your car, answer your questions and spend your money... That's what we are here for. Looking forward to seeing your build thread..

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

11. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Hello Doug,
    Welcome to the madness... These people on the forum are AWESOME and will help you build your car, answer your questions and spend your money... That's what we are here for. Looking forward to seeing your build thread..
    Thanks BadAsp427! And you are so right! Everyone out here is AWESOME, including yourself! You gave me a good laugh too, knowing the community means well and they want to help spend the buxs for the right reason(s), which I'm sure that 99% of the time will just make sense to do so. Which is all good to me. I will no doubt look to the countless experts who have gone before me, to help guide me away from a particular pitfall or just bad idea. I know I've check your build out and will be back on it along with the other "427 Builds" specifically. I am so honored to be here amongst great people that I hope to meet and build some new lasting friendships, as I also build my dream car. Thanks for having me and I for sure will be documenting my build in 2020. BTW - I dig your ID Name!

Dj

13. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post