BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: aluminum panels not lining up

Post Thanks / Like

aluminum panels not lining up

Hey all,

If someone who has experience with this can give me a tip that would be great!

I have some aluminum panels that I'm nearing the silicon/rivet stage, but they don't quite line up to the chassis member they will be riveted to.

I'm wondering 1) if it is going to be a problem? and if so, what sort of problem? and 2) what is the best way to cut them down?

I have tin snips and a cut off wheel (but that is about the best I have in the way of tools to trim these things).

Thanks in advance!!!

panel1.jpg

panel2.jpg

panel3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The wall sections along the trans tunnel should be fine since the cover fits over those edges. The outer wall on the driver's side would be better to line up with the frame or be slightly below the frame. There will be carpet there when you're done, but that sharp edge could be an issue. Make sure the floor is down all the way along that side before trimming. A pair of snips is all you'll need. Trim the edge and then file it to remove any burs or rough edges.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my panels along the transmission tunnel sticks up about 1/4 inch too. I was just gonna shave it down with a grinder just to make sure the tunnel cover sits flat.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with the aluminum panels is that they are very precise. More often then not I've found for me when something didn't appear to be fitting correctly it was user error. Don't trim anything until you are absolutely positive they are installed in the proper location, in the proper sequence, and with the proper overlaps. All make a difference. Trimming should be an absolute last resort. In this case, for the overhang on the sills and transmission tunnel, I'd make sure they're pushed down all the way and that the floor itself is down all the way and flat on the frame. My most common trimming is around welds, where sometimes a weld bead keeps a part from seating properly. Not saying trimming something isn't required. Just make sure it's last. Hard to put material back on once it's taken off.

One other thing to mention is check the bends. Those are done in shipping as the parts are assembled for the kit, and while usually pretty good, may not be quite as exact as the laser cut panels. If a flange isn't quite 90 degrees, for example, might keep the part from seating properly. I use one of these when fitting the aluminum to tweak things if needed. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch...mer-98728.html
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-19-2019 at 06:10 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Likes RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the panel is in place grinder will work but not my first choice, dusty and loud as crap. Better to take the time to pre fit panels and cut with tin snips and file like papa said. The .040 aluminum cuts like butter with a good pair of aviation snips. If you have a lot to remove it is best to sneak up on your final cut line. I like to rough cut with pneumatic shears but finish the cut with snips and file. just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    very good point Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Just realized I never thanked you guys for replying... Thanks!

Turned out I had a little bit of all the above. I had some bends that needed tweaking, I had one panel on the driver side where the tab was lined up on the outside rather than the inside and finally I did end up shaving off a little of one of the panels.

Things are looking well now - again, thank you for your help.