Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 401K Deduction (not contribution) Question

Post Thanks / Like

401K Deduction (not contribution) Question

OK, so...

We all know that if you make $50K and save $10K to your 401K, your taxable income is $40K.

But I heard there is a limit - if you make say $100K and save $20K your taxable income is NOT $80K, it might be $90K.

After maximum tax deduction, you may want to do something else with your money.

I can't find any charts anywhere about this, but it might be because I am WRONG.

Post Thanks / Like
    There’s a limit of how much you can contribute but it’s all pre-tax.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    The maximum amount you can contribute in 2020 to a 401(k) as an employee is $19,500. That is $500 more than the 401(k) limit for 2019. If you are 50, or older, you can also make a catch-up contribution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not an expert on Tax Code, but I did run into this

Depending on the size of your company, the number in the plan, your salary in relation to all of them and to the company as a whole, you may run into a highly compensated employee rule, where you can only contribute x% more than the others. Your HR department should be able to help

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shmelty View Post
    The maximum amount you can contribute in 2020 to a 401(k) as an employee is $19,500. That is $500 more than the 401(k) limit for 2019. If you are 50, or older, you can also make a catch-up contribution.
    Shmelty has is correct, the current max contribution this year is $19,500, it changes every year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Friends:

Thanks for the responses, but it looks like I didn't phrase my question properly. I do understand the max contribution and also the max contribution if you are 50 or over.

What I mean is there is a point where you can only deduct so much from your taxable income. Allegedly. Somebody told me this years ago when I was a wee lad, or at least I think so.

I work for a small company and the plan is brand new, so nobody at work knows the answer. A rep from the investment company came in yesterday and he didn't know the answer to my question. Imagine that.

Post Thanks / Like
    you may be thinking about the phase out limits for deductibility of IRA contributions over a certain income threshold - I am pretty sure there are no such limits for 401 k contributions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post

What I mean is there is a point where you can only deduct so much from your taxable income. Allegedly. Somebody told me this years ago when I was a wee lad, or at least I think so.
    401k is a deferral of taxes, not a deduction.

You could defer 100% of your compensation, as long as that figure does not exceed the annual limits discussed above.

See "Basic elective deferral limit" linked below.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...-contributions

Does that answer your question?

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie.

Read this: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...-plan-overview Specifically the difference between traditional and safe harbor 401K plans. I think this may be what you're remembering. My company uses the safe harbor approach.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    For 2019, the 401(k) tax deferral is phased out in increments for single taxpayers with an income in the range of $64,000 to $74,000. Married filing jointly - $103,000 to to $123,000.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RJD View Post
    For 2019, the 401(k) tax deferral is phased out in increments for single taxpayers with an income in the range of $64,000 to $74,000. Married filing jointly - $103,000 to to $123,000.
    Negative - that is the phase out on IRA deductions - not 401(k) deferrals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer on the above being negative, I thought we were getting close.

Since we don't have an answer yet, I must be wrong in what I recollected.

Every time I google "maximum 401K deduction" all that comes up is info about the contribution.

It must be linear, the deduction is always equal to the contribution, regardless of total yearly income.

In any case, I follow the:

Step 1. Contribute to company 401K up to the match
    Step 2. Contribute to a Roth IRA
    Step 3. If you max the Roth IRA of $6,000 go back to the 401K
    Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 02-20-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yearly income does not matter for 401k contributions, IRA does have an income limit..

All 401k contributions are pre-tax. It’s not a deduction like say mortgage interest. You’re only deferring the taxes until you withdraw in retirement.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like

In any case, I follow the:

Step 1. Contribute to company 401K up to the match
    Step 2. Contribute to a Roth IRA
    Step 3. If you max the Roth IRA of $6,000 go back to the 401K

Good plan.

At least until they change the rules - yet again - who knows? - answer: "nobody"...

It's exhausting.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    Negative - that is the phase out on IRA deductions - not 401(k) deferrals.
    Negative on the negative. A 401(k) is a form of an individual retirement account (IRA). Those income ranges in the previous post cause the tax deferrals on your 401(k) contributions to phase out. When phased out, your contributions to your 401(k) for the year are not excluded from your taxable income for that year like they would have been had your income been below the phase out limits.

See below, particularly the last paragraph and first two bullets.

67DEA3CF-B051-408F-A494-10315253779F.png
    Last edited by RJD; 02-21-2020 at 01:10 AM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Negative on the negative. A 401(k) is a form of an individual retirement account (IRA). Those income ranges in the previous post cause the tax deferrals on your 401(k) contributions to phase out. When phased out, your contributions to your 401(k) for the year are not excluded from your taxable income for that year like they would have been had your income been below the phase out limits.

See below, particularly the last paragraph and first two bullets.
    Wrong again - you are confusing deferrals and deductions.

Let me highlight where the IRS changed subjects among their "Highlights of changes for 2020":

The income ranges for determining eligibility to make deductible contributions to traditional Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs), to contribute to Roth IRAs and to claim the Saver's Credit all increased for 2020.

A 401(k) is simply not a "traditional" IRA, nor a Roth - they are covered by different rules.

The instructions for form W2 make the 401(k) question perfectly clear on page 16: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3.pdf

"Box 1—Wages, tips, other compensation. Show the
    total taxable wages, tips, and other compensation that you
    paid to your employee during the year. However, do not
    include
    elective deferrals (such as employee contributions
    to a section 401(k) or 403(b) plan) except section 501(c)
    (18) contributions."

How could you possibly phase it back in (as taxable income) when it was purposely left out of box 1?

Post Thanks / Like
    "What I mean is there is a point where you can only deduct so much from your taxable income."

There is no such thing as a "401k deduction," because the money needs to be treated as "income" before you can take a deduction from "income," and the 401k contribution is not treated as "income." The language Mike quotes above is consistent with this.

This assumes your contribution is within the yearly contribution limited, which is correctly stated above. I have no idea what would happen if one tried to contribute more than the yearly limit to a 401K plan. I looked into the same question for an IRA account, and as far as I could tell you'd risk paying tax on the excess contribution twice - once before it went in, and again when it came out - at which point you may as well spend it on a kit car.
    Last edited by Jacob McCrea; 02-21-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mike223;400156]The instructions for form W2 make the 401(k) question perfectly clear on page 16: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw2w3.pdf

"Box 1—Wages, tips, other compensation. Show the
    total taxable wages, tips, and other compensation that you
    paid to your employee during the year. However, do not
    include
    elective deferrals (such as employee contributions
    to a section 401(k) or 403(b) plan) except section 501(c)
    (18) contributions."

How could you possibly phase it back in (as taxable income) when it was purposely left out of box 1?[/QUOTE

Sorry, have to disagree with you again. When you do your taxes - that's when your final tax is determined based on your final taxable income. If you find you've hit that phase out income threshold when you do your taxes at the end of the tax year, you'll notice as you work through the forms that the amount you contributed to your 401(k) is now included as taxable income.

Too bad we just can't go to a flat tax scheme - that'll give us more time in the garage and less time on taxes.
    Last edited by RJD; 02-21-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The annual contribution that you personally can contribute is $19,500 (this sum is not taxable).
    Keep in mind that your employer contributions are not included in that annual limit (this sum is taxable).
    Your annual contribution may exceed $19,500 if you include both personal and employer contributions.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by chargerbill; 02-21-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

When you do your taxes - <snip> you'll notice as you work through the forms that the amount you contributed to your 401(k) is now included as taxable income.

Too bad we just can't go to a flat tax scheme - that'll give us more time in the garage and less time on taxes.
    Agreed on spending way too much time on taxes.

Let's try this - I can show you the worksheets for phasing out deductions on traditional IRAs and eligibility for Roth IRA contributions.

They are worksheets 1-2 and 2-1 in Pub 590A here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf

If you would kindly point me to a Pub and worksheet for phasing out 401(k) deferrals - I would appreciate that information greatly.

It's something I need to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this IRS comparison chart provides more clarity?

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...mparison-chart
    Last edited by mike223; 02-21-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like I sent everyone on a wild goose chase and I apologize. Still good learning, though and since it's related we can discuss further:

Even though I read it over and over again, I don't understand the term "phase out."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    .... I have no idea what would happen if one tried to contribute more than the yearly limit to a 401K plan.
    This once happened to me accidentally. The extra money automatically got put into the same investment funds as an Individual Taxable IRA. They give you a warning and you can move the money around, but if you do nothing this is what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I read it over and over again, I don't understand the term "phase out."
    I'll try.

This specific example is for deducting an IRA contribution.

If you're filing single and your adjusted gross income is $64,000 or less - the full amount of the IRA contribution is deductible.

Same situation AGI is $74,000 or more - the contribution is not deductible.

The deduction phases out from from 100% deductible at $64,000 AGI to 0% deductible at $74,000 AGI - Presumably it's around 50% deductible at $69,000 (figuring the exact number is what the worksheet is for).

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another term is "phase in".

Similar example - if you don't make a lot of money, you probably don't owe tax on long term capital gains, provided you don't make a bunch of money on those long term capital gains (sale of privately held stock, etc).

But at some income level they start stepping up from charging 0% tax to 100% of whatever the tax rate would be for that particular situation.

And there are worksheets for all of that.

And sometimes three weeks of research and paperwork just to get to the point of concluding whether you owe tax on it or not, or how much.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at what your AGI is, it is the sum of all your income less any pre-tax deductions. If you contribute to a 401k, you will see at difference on your W2 in your wages (box 1) vs. your Social Security Wages (box 3). That difference is what you contributed to "qualified" tax-deferred plans. My wife and I exceeded the limits shown in one of the posts above, and it didn't affect our AGI. The important thing is to recognize your tax savings. Say you contribute 10,000 into your 401k and your tax rate is 23%. That means you saved 23% of $10,000 or $2,300 that you would have otherwise paid tax on.

Don't forget about your HSA is you have one. A family can defer up to $7,100 ($8,100 if 55 or older) into their HSA in addition to the 401k contributions you are allowed to make. HSA's are pre-tax when contributed to, not tasked when you use the funds for qualified medical expenses, and they are not taxed on any dividends/interest or other gains when invested if your plan allows for it.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread