BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Question mounting the door frame to the skin - hot rod

Post Thanks / Like

Question mounting the door frame to the skin - hot rod

Hey guys
    So, mounting the first door, passenger side. Everything is going fairly well so far although the door is twisted a bit but that's not my question at this point. The instructions say to make sure the door frame rear plate is pushed back against the rear of the door, then it says to use a couple of the aluminum screws to hold it in position (aluminum screws I assume that were used for shipping and were pulled out when unpacking the kit) So I can't find any further reference to attaching the door and this rear door frame plate. Seems like the aluminum screw reference is just temporary, what the heck holds the rear of the door to the internal frame permanently?

Thanks for your help
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this is what you are asking for but this mounting is to the inner door brace and is essential to the stability of the door. I ended up using button headed bolts that were threaded into the plate on the other side of the glass inside the door. I was able to influence the twist in the door using these as well

IMG_2982.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 10-20-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Not sure if this is what you are asking for but this mounting is to the inner door brace and is essential to the stability of the door. I ended up using button headed bolts that were threaded into the plate on the other side of the glass inside the door. I was able to influence the twist in the door using these as well

IMG_2982.jpg
    Yes, exactly. Did you have to drill new holes in the plate for this, were there no bolts in the kit? There seems to be a couple of smaller sized slots in the plate that could use (I'm guessing) 1/4 bolts through the glass to attach it. So weird that there is no further instructions in the manual regarding this....

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a pic of the "plate" I'm talking about. The two circled slots seem to be appropriate for bolts to hold the door shell onto the door frame assembly at the hinge end.

IMG_3252a.jpg

here is the only thing I can find in the manual - seems to want me to drill 2 holes in the plate and put aluminum screws in. Other than scribing the lower slot on the rear plate into the door, there is no further reference...

manual.jpg

So the question is, what did you guys do to attach this plate to the door skin? I'm inclined to scribe both slots into the door skin, drill through the center of the slot (leaving adjustment in both directions) and use a flange head bolt from the outside with a locknut on the inside. If that's what you did, did you use bolts from the kit (which package) or did you buy extra?

Thanks for the help
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I can’t help. But that’s totally different and interesting.
    33 Hot Rod #1133. LS/TKO600
    Delivered 6-17-19. Started work 7-3-19. First start 9-6-19. First drive 9-24-19
    Titled 2-28-20

MkI.IV 2643k

Post Thanks / Like

Door skiin

Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Hey guys
    So, mounting the first door, passenger side. Everything is going fairly well so far although the door is twisted a bit but that's not my question at this point. The instructions say to make sure the door frame rear plate is pushed back against the rear of the door, then it says to use a couple of the aluminum screws to hold it in position (aluminum screws I assume that were used for shipping and were pulled out when unpacking the kit) So I can't find any further reference to attaching the door and this rear door frame plate. Seems like the aluminum screw reference is just temporary, what the heck holds the rear of the door to the internal frame permanently?

Thanks for your help
    Steve
    I think what they meant was to drill two holes in the metal plate for the sheet metal screws to hold the door in position temporarily. Then you drill thru the metal plate hole/slot thru the door skin and that's where the 1/4" flat head bolts go.

7. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kamp, kinda along the lines I was thinking but it's like a page is missing from my version of the manual...
    "the" 1/4 flat head bolts? is there a reference in the manual somewhere...
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    I did drill the skin and plate. I took advantage of this to ensure the proper fitment of the door. There was some amount of pressure applied before I marked and drilled the door

10. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I will stop trying to figure out why I can't find how to finish this off in the manual and do what seems to be intended. Will pick up the right sized bolts to use the slots in that rear frame piece to attach it to the door skin....
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I had the front bear claw latch connected and the door skin aligned, I went ahead and added new holes from that back plate through the door skin, once aligned but before final trimming and then drilled from the inside a pair of 1/4" holes to add in some bolts. I put in bolts from the inside (just long enough to get the nuts on from the inside of the car) to allow it to lock in and then opened the door and flipped them around one at a time. I have a few pics to show you the final install. Did not take those off before paint as I did not want to allow the door to move. On the bear claw end, I added a pair of 1/8" spring pins between through the fiberglass into the bracket so that locks it in place so when I took off the bear claws, that end so the door stays in place. I placed them so you would never see them when the door is open as well.
    20191011_152213.jpg 20191011_152433.jpg
    20190202_093944.jpg I could not find my door pin pics, but this is what I did for the hood parts.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

13. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Thanks Kamp, kinda along the lines I was thinking but it's like a page is missing from my version of the manual...
    "the" 1/4 flat head bolts? is there a reference in the manual somewhere...
    Steve
    I called them flathead, which is incorrect terminology, but their the ones with the washer like head and use a recessed hex for tightening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamp View Post
    I called them flathead, which is incorrect terminology, but their the ones with the washer like head and use a recessed hex for tightening.
    They are called stove bolts.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamp View Post
    socket head flange bolt... I'll use that or more ordinary hex head flange bolt... thx
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

17. Likes TxMike64 liked this post