BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: seat heater switches in trans tunnel cover

Post Thanks / Like

seat heater switches in trans tunnel cover

I'm planning on mounting my switches in the trans tunnel cover toward the rear 1/2. Is it necessary to protect the back side of the switches from the elements? If so, the poor man's way would be to wrap it up and cover the exposed parts with electrical tape. I'm sure there is a more elegant way.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a high heat and weather area. Electrical tape will last for a while, but not long enough. You either need to make or buy a water tight enclosure or some type of waterproof boot. Or put the switches somewhere else, which would get my vote.

3. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used some aluminum angle to fab small brackets for the switches. I riveted the brackets to the transmission tunnel, and they fit nicely below the inside edge of the seat. They are out of the way of getting accidentally pressed, but this way the wiring stays all on the inside of the interior without any penetrations. I ran the power/ground wires up the inside corner of the bottom of the tunnel, tucked into the insulation and under the carpet.

You can see in the picture below the switch indicated by the arrow:

And from the front:

--Nathan
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

5. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you plan on driving the car in the rain?
    I have mine unprotected on the top of the tunnel a couple inches forward of the shifter. Haven’t had any problems. Of course I don’t drive in the rain. I do go through some wet areas pulling in the neighborhood pretty often when the landscape sprinklers create pools on the roads. Put the car on the storage lift immediately after the drive. The areas that are wet are nowhere near the top of the trans tunnel. I have never had any concern over the switches.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are in the same area that Scott described. I don't expect any issues, but there is a spray coating that I've used for trailer wire connectors that might be worth looking into.

Plastic Dip 160096 Liquid Electrical Tape Spray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029T3FXY..._fIWRDbP5Z74R5
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission tunnel doesn't get water into it, and it isn't a high heat area either. I ran my car for sometime with out a shifter or parking brake boot, zero water, and the air moving through was never overly hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. These are some interesting ideas. I did not think of putting the switches on brackets or the liquid electrical tape. I'm planning on putting some miles on this car and I'm sure I will get caught in the rain eventually. This car is a driver!
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option would be a piece of shrink sleeve over each. May not be water tight but would offer some protection. Even though that area does typically stay dry as others have mentioned. Good practice never to use only electrical tape for insulation. I use it occasionally on convulote tubing, and always Scotch Super 33+ which generally holds up for that purpose and doesn't deteriorate or turn gummy like some others.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    The transmission tunnel doesn't get water into it, and it isn't a high heat area either.
    Normal manual transmission fluid temperatures are in the 175 - 225* range. Maybe not "high" heat, but enough to make electrical tape harden up and lose adhesion. I looked it up being a curious nerd, 3M electrical tape max temp is 176 - 221, depending on which one. If you drive in the rain, water gets everywhere under the car. The last thing you want is a switch filling up with water and shorting out.

If you really want them in the tunnel. Just make a little enclosure for them that is well sealed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I drive in the rain, water has never gotten on top of the tranny.