Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Battery Location Opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Battery Location Opinions

Looking for thoughts on front vs rear battery placement. I really like rear From a simplicity stand point but worry about heat from exhaust if I put it right of the transmission and interference with bell crank if left of the transmission. also weight distribution is already heavily skewed to the rear, not sure if I’m game for a $300 lightweight Li-ion battery.

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ponied up for a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4). They are more stable and not as likely to heat up and exploded . And at only $229 it was not that much more than a quality lead acid or AGM battery. The best part is its only 3.3 lbs. and fits inside the center console tunnel!

Deltran LiFePO4 Battery
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 11-13-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

4. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hobby Racer, have you actually lived with this battery in the real world for awhile?

I know we don’t have much compression, but 360cca ain’t much.

I’ve been looking at the Antigravity ATX-20HD and I like everything but the price at $400.

6. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blwalker105 View Post
    Hobby Racer, have you actually lived with this battery in the real world for awhile?

I know we don’t have much compression, but 360cca ain’t much.

I’ve been looking at the Antigravity ATX-20HD and I like everything but the price at $400.
    I have been using this battery for two years and its been great! And remember I'm cranking over a 3.6 liter flat 6 with 10.5:1 compression.

The only downside is that if your engine does not start easily, this may not be a good option for you as it does not have a lot of reserve power for long repeated cranking.

Since these are mainly fair weather cars, you don't usually have the issue of trying to start it in the dead of winter when the oil is thick and its hard to turn over.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Brd.Prey; 11-13-2019 at 01:40 PM.

9. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ajzride, sorry, I didn’t intend to hijack your thread. My feeling is that putting anything more than the weight of the Antigravity battery in the rear is going to do very bad things for your polar moment of inertia. I am of the school that believes in keeping all the heavy stuff as near to the center of the vehicle as possible. Since we’re already over 40/60 front-to-rear weight bias, everything that you can put up front should go there. My 10 gallon fuel tank had to be moved up there for comfort’s sake, so my battery is going right behind the passenger seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wound up putting the battery up front for weight reasons. I used 150 amp circuit breakers on both ends of the alternator wire, and used an old school 60’s starter solenoid for the 00 wire running to the starter. This way the starter wire is only hot while cranking and the alternator wire is short circuit protected from either side.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running a AGM, 20AH, 310cca powersports ATV battery. About 12 Lbs. Located on the right side of the transmission. I don't like running long non fused high current cables. Also to much voltage loss during starting. My first battery lasted 4 years, I'm a year into my second battery.
    Bob

bat.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My LiPO is only like 4 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brd.Prey View Post
    My LiPO is only like 4 lbs
    My AGM was $59. I have spent the last 25 years working inn the EV industry. Without Lithium batteries Tesla would not exist. I was a little skeptical about LiPO as a high current starting battery. My son is 3 years into running LiPO in his ATV (400cc). It has performed flawlessly.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread