Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Brief video walk around

Post Thanks / Like

Brief video walk around

We will be doing the ASE inspection this weekend. Turns out my neighbor is master certified which is required for the TX safety inspection. Once that's done, I can get a 30 day temp permit to get it on the road for official weights, etc before walking the DMV through the custom vehicle registration process.

It's close! I did a video walk around tonight with it running after I got it back on its own feet.

-Nathan
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

2. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

4. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Nathan,

Does Texas have a mileage limit? In VA we have a 5k mile limit for the year on these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_pilate View Post
    We will be doing the ASE inspection this weekend. Turns out my neighbor is master certified which is required for the TX safety inspection. Once that's done, I can get a 30 day temp permit to get it on the road for official weights, etc before walking the DMV through the custom vehicle registration process.

It's close! I did a video walk around tonight with it running after I got it back on its own feet.

-Nathan

6. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Any chance you can post some links on Tx requirements?

I’m creating a personal log per state.

8. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No mileage limit on these that I've ever seen in Texas, thankfully. The only mileage limits I've seen in this process have come from insurance agencies on their policies.

--Nathan
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

10. Likes Kmcallahan, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    Any chance you can post some links on Tx requirements?

I’m creating a personal log per state.
    Here is the Texas Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual (PDF) which contains the process.

Most follow the Street Rods and Custom Vehicles section (4.3), with the roadster falling into the definition of a custom vehicle ("manufactured to resemble a vehicle that is at least 25 years old and - has a body constructed from materials not original to the vehicle"). As far as I can tell, requirements are:
    • Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (form 130-U)
    • Ownership document (MCO)
    • ASE Safety Inspection (form VTR-852)
    • Proof of insurance
    • Three photos (front, rear, side) of the vehicle and one photo of the original car it resembles
    • Component Parts Bill of Sale (form VTR-63)

12. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Kmcallahan, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Nice work.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

14. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice car Nathan !!!
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

16. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, everyone. It has a grand total of 10 miles on it so far . I'm looking forward to increasing that number. Also, I swapped back to an Xtreme flow round element with a filter top. I had to use a spacer to clear the throttle linkage, but it should flow better.

19. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Beautiful car, well done. Like I always say, more photos, please.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

21. Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. Can't wait to get started on mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love that silver and gray! Can I ask where the side pipe heat shields come from?

Bradley
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome car! I moved from California to Texas with a completed and registered car and followed same basic process as listed below except that I had CA title rather than MSO. Hardest part for me was finding a shop to do the ASE inspection. Most either didn’t want to do it for liability reasons or didn’t have a tech with a current ASE certificate even though they advertised as being an ASE certified shop. I finally talked the local Ford dealer Service Manager to doing it for $250.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Love that silver and gray! Can I ask where the side pipe heat shields come from?

Bradley
    He's a forum member that goes by Drummer Mike. Mike Francuck.

--Nathan

26. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up pursuing faculty in the local Jr. College's automotive tech program. They have multiple ASE certified master techs on staff, and they don't have quite the same liability concerns as someone who is operating a shop.