Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: List of possible Donor cars? Can 02-07 Imprezas be used?

Post Thanks / Like

List of possible Donor cars? Can 02-07 Imprezas be used?

Is there a list of known cars that can be used as a donor? I am in MA and from the way I read the rules here, there _must_ be a donor car, you can't build one with all original parts. (I may be mistaken). I'm not planning on using the engine or brakes from the car, so I was wondering if I could get what I need from an impreza instead of a WRX.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, an Impreza will be fine, and much cheaper. The hard parts you'll use like steering column, pedal box, suspension control arms, spindles and hubs are the same as the WRX. The interior bits are most likely the same but I can't say for sure.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Yes, an Impreza will be fine, and much cheaper. The hard parts you'll use like steering column, pedal box, suspension control arms, spindles and hubs are the same as the WRX. The interior bits are most likely the same but I can't say for sure.
    When ordering your kit from factory five you will tell them that you a using a non-turbo Impreza and they will ship the appropriate exhaust parts with the kit.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    When ordering your kit from factory five you will tell them that you a using a non-turbo Impreza and they will ship the appropriate exhaust parts with the kit.
    He is not using the motor so I don't know if that will help. Better to tell them the type of donor based on the transmission you plan to use so they can ship the right axle shafts. The NA cars and the turbo cars have different splines.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be to your advantage if you picked out a donor car before ordering your kit. You could build a kit with all new parts, but there are many unique special fittings, parts etc that the donor will have that you need. It is a great deal of help to actually disassemble a vehicle so you know where everything came from and its function. If you want optional things such as the axles that already have been modified for the kit, they need to know what year trans and car you are using as donor.

6. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by c11k View Post
    Is there a list of known cars that can be used as a donor? I am in MA and from the way I read the rules here, there _must_ be a donor car, you can't build one with all original parts. (I may be mistaken). I'm not planning on using the engine or brakes from the car, so I was wondering if I could get what I need from an impreza instead of a WRX.

Thanks.
    I'm also in MA and although I built my 818 using a donor, I don't think this is required. They do want to know where the parts came from, that you didn't steal them and that you paid appropriate taxes. I registered my car 4 years ago, and the rules do seem to be a moving target, so may have changed. I'm in Hingham, MA, and happy to share my build and registration experiences with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hello. Just joined here. I’m in Mass as well and am planning on building an 818 in the (probably far) future so I plan on learning as much as possible about it in the meantime. I’ve been to FFR twice and took the tour and was quite impressed with the quality
    Looking forward to starting the project

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice to add to this thread would be avoid the 06/07 cars. The immobilizer is a headache.

Post Thanks / Like
    > The immobilizer is a headache.

Do you mean the anti-theft system?

I ended up buying all the suspension components for an 07 new from Rock Auto and Amazon and a few used parts from eBay. I had a kit on order that would have supplied all the remaining parts (brakes, etc), but then I found a deal on a 1/2 built 818 that I'll be getting shortly (current world situation allowing).

So now I have a basement full of new components I probably won't be using, and a car incoming with an engine and a bunch of other stuff I don't need.

@jbs72697, welcome to the group, where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by c11k View Post
    > The immobilizer is a headache.

Do you mean the anti-theft system?
    Yes, on the 2006 and newer cars, if the immobilizer isn't happy, the ECU won't fire the fuel injectors. Makes it really hard to crank the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi. Thanks for the welcome. Happy to be part of it
    C11k, I’m in Braintree. I’m a long way off from building an 818, but if you’re not going to use some parts I may think about grabbing some if you’d like to be rid of anything, providing my wallet agrees
    Last edited by jbs72697; 04-12-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quick question. I’m selling a mazda3 to a friend of a friend who’s ‘09 Forester is having problems (engine, brakes). By any chance would his Forester be of any use as a donor, even if partial?
    If so I thought I could put it on here for him. Might help to pay for him to buy my Mazda