Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: 33 Hot Rod with 700R4 Transmission Question

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

33 Hot Rod with 700R4 Transmission Question

Hey Gang,

My friend David E. is building a Factory Five 33 Hot Rod and we installed a Blue Print SBC 400 with a 700R4 behind it.
    The drive shaft looks extremely short because we only have about 2" of yoke going into the tail of the transmission.
    Do any of you have any pictures of a similar set up because I really feel like we've got the wrong driveshaft.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Note: We did the 1st start this past weekend and turned things over with the car up on jack stands so we're close to Go-Karting.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-07-2020 at 09:52 AM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't have photos of a similar setup but if the spline is only engaging 2" that's not nearly enough. If that's FFR supplied shaft for that particular application then they either set you the wrong one or there is something unexpected in your buddy's engine (or rear axle) installation. Be advised that in the HR there is room to move a SBC to the rear quite a ways and still have adequate clearance to the firewall. But if using the large HEI distributor not as much as using the smaller conventional cap distributor.

Now if you would have only gone with the Entabulator instead of the old fashioned 700R4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

3. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And for just a tad more he could get the newer version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjcJp_Nwvk
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

5. Likes AJT '33, HVACMAN, JimLev liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Don't have photos of a similar setup but if the spline is only engaging 2" that's not nearly enough. If that's FFR supplied shaft for that particular application then they either set you the wrong one or there is something unexpected in your buddy's engine (or rear axle) installation. Be advised that in the HR there is room to move a SBC to the rear quite a ways and still have adequate clearance to the firewall. But if using the large HEI distributor not as much as using the smaller conventional cap distributor.

Now if you would have only gone with the Entabulator instead of the old fashioned 700R4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag
    Thanks Naz,

I was hoping you'd chime and confirm my fears.
    Even my stupid short yoke for my ZF 6-Speed has the yoke further in the transmission than my buddy's 700R4.
    I definitely thing we got the wrong driveshaft.

Thanks Again & Love The Entabulator Videos!

Post Thanks / Like
    To give you a better idea of relative length, most of the driveshaft shops I've worked with will tell you to leave no more than 1" of free travel on the spline for installation, less if you have a flat flange mount typical of Mustang rear ends. So if your slip yoke has 4.375" of machined surface you don't want more than 1" of that extending past the rear seal when installed and that will give you 3 3/8" spline engagement (assuming the rear seal and output shaft are protruding equally). That's a rule of thumb. Things are a little different when you get into extreme 4X4 driveshafts for lifted vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Naz,

When I saw how far that sucker stuck out, I got paranoid.
    Thank Again!

Steve

9. Likes AJT '33 liked this post