FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Russ Thompson Turn Signal wiring question

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Russ Thompson Turn Signal wiring question

Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but I've searched here for the answer and couldn't find it so I'm throwing it out to one of you that's smarter than me:

Using the Russ Thompson Turn signal kit ONLY for turn signals - NOT headlights, flash to pass, horn - nothing but turn signals.

Question: Do I need any relays for this or can I wire it directly? I'm not using LED's, just the FFR stock lighting. If I need a relay, what do I use?

Thanks for any advice you all can provide me with this.

Phoenixmsb

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't say what wiring harness. Going to assume the usual kit provided Ron Francis harness. If so, no relay(s) needed. The RT turn signal switch is exactly the same, and wired the same, as the SPDT turn signal toggle switch shown on the Ron Francis wiring diagram. Power comes into the center common wire, and left and right wires connected to the corresponding switch wires. Easy.

The relays often shown and discussed are for the headlights, high/low beams, etc. Not related to the turn signals. You can use the momentary switch for the horn if you want. The standard RF panel already has a horn relay, so that's as simple as connecting to the two wires. Again, duplicating the horn switch shown on the RF wiring diagram.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    THANK YOU!!!!! Sorry, but yes, I'm using the RF wiring harness. I'll get them wired up and not fret so much anymore.... at least about this one!

Thanks again!

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hope you get figured out - I just talked to Russ to get a switch when my car parts arrive
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!