Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 6R80 or 10R80 fitting in a Roadster?

Post Thanks / Like

6R80 or 10R80 fitting in a Roadster?

Will either the 6 spd or 10 spd automatic from ford fit in a roadster without modifications or cutting to the frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can tell you is that both SVTFreak and I have 6R80's in our '33 Hot Rods, and they fit with no issues (other than having to fab a custom driveshaft and trans support). Don't know much about the new 10 speed auto, other than it's rumored to be somewhat larger than the old 6 speed. HTH Keith HR#894

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to know what people are using to control them??
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    I would like to know what people are using to control them??
    I can address the 6R80 with the 2nd Gen Coyote. I am using a version of the coyote controls pack from Ford Performance designed to work with the 6R80. For the 10R80, I would suggest that Ford Performance will or is selling a controls pack for use with the 3rd Gen Coyote. There were aftermarket solutions to control the 6R80, not sure if anyone has a aftermarket controller for the 10R80 as yet.

Regarding fitment, the 6R80 is big, very wide and it does not have an integral slip yoke. A driveshaft with a slip yoke is required to use it. When I built my roadster, I used a T-3650 and the driveshaft was very short. It may be possible to fit the 6R80, but I would talk with Factory Five first before making a commitment. My coyote and 6R80 are out of my Mustang now, so I can take measurements if you need them. PM me and I can provide measurements.

I would suggest it is doubtful that that coyote and 6R80 are going to fit into the roadster.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will fit, with some slight mods. As said above, it's a bigger and wider transmission than the manual. The width is the real issue. You'll need to widen the trans tunnel a bit. Not a lot, but a little.

Power By The Hour sells a lot of swap parts: Brackets, mounts, harnesses, etc. Mostly for the 6R80, but also for the 10R80.

Performance Automatic implies that they have a controller available, but their web site is not very good. You might try calling them for more Info.

Ford is advertising a complete kit with a new engine, transmission, harnesses and ECU's. I don't see the controller listed by itself, but I would check with the local Ford dealer and see what they can do.

And, you can always use the stock computer and wiring harnesses. It's certainly not a simple plug and play, but it can be done.

As Alan said, the drive shaft is a little unique. Again, not much of a problem. Get a stock Mustang driveshaft and have it cut down.

There are only 2 forward drive positions, D and M. You can use most cable operated shifters, and then block off the third detent. You can use the factory Ford switch for manual control. Lokar does make a shifter specifically for the 6R80, and that includes the electronic shifter button.

I chose to use a push button shifter mechanism. https://www.powertraincontrolsolutio...utton_Shifter/
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Levittown Ford Parts. They supplied the 2nd Coyote Controls Pack for the 6R80 for me. Best price I could find anywhere at the time. Their website appears to be a bit behind as I do not see the 3rd Gen Coyote crate engine, but didn't look real hard either.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/c...+controls+pack