Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: It's Street Legal!!! (TX)

Post Thanks / Like

It's Street Legal!!! (TX)

Well, today I went to the tax assessor's office with the intention of getting a 30 day temp registration to allow getting a certified weight, etc. I got the ASE safety inspection done over the weekend without any issues. As I walked in, I figured I had all my paperwork with me, why not just give it a shot to see if I could get the whole thing done?

The only thing I didn't have was a certified weight, but the agent was fine with a rounded estimate. She looked over all of my paperwork, and talked to her supervisor for about 15 minutes. Then she came back and entered everything into the computer, and a few minutes later, I walked out with a window registration sticker, temporary plates, copies of all my paperwork, and the knowledge that the title and permanent plates will be in the mail in a few weeks!

Took about 40 minutes total. In Texas, it is now legally registered with custom vehicle plates, and I can drive it on the road tonight without worry about being pulled over. With the custom vehicle registration designation, I am exempt from yearly inspection.

It's cold today, but I'll probably take it out this evening for an easy run about just because I can .

A few little things to tidy up, and I'll do a graduation post.

Nathan
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

2. Likes rezell3d, Aircontroller, rwantin, Drezx6r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. That has to be a great feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took it for the first legal drive tonight. Currently 42F outside, but a beautiful night otherwise. Took my 8 year old son along for the ride and he had a blast; so did I. The seat warmers work great.

I didn't venture too far from home but made a few laps around a 30 block radius. It ran great. Was able to get it up to 70mph on one country road and up to the speed limit in a "spirited" fashion a few more times on the edge of town. I gave the most throttle in third tonight, though not quite WOT yet. It really comes to life, especially above 3500 rpm.

My son kept track of the looks and thumbs up and was eating it up. What a blast!

We have a few days of rainy and colder weather ahead before things warm back up to the 50s and 60s, and I can't wait to get it back out there.

Thanks for all the help over the last three years, whether you realized you were helping or not.

--Nathan
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

5. Likes rezell3d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a picture or a video!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The sun was getting pretty low, and the GoPro wasn't charged, but the next go around I will take a video.

8. Likes rwantin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the last pictures I took for registration as well as one I took while it was on the lift for inspection:

--Nathan

10. Likes ydousurf, rezell3d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a sweet looking ride, Nathan! May you now just sit back and enjoy many a beautiful adventures out on the road. Stay safe and drive on... And mash the gas here-n-there!

Dj

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the best part about Texas... Driving all winter! Congrats. Love the color combo.

13. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great lookin car, Nathan. Congrats.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Enjoy her.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nathan-

Congratulations on getting her legal! And, for getting the chance to take your son for an exciting break-in run! That had to be a very cool experience for both of you!

The pictures look great; love the paint job! I am very happy (and a bit jealous) for you. The bonus is that you get to drive it through the winter too; awesome.

Congratulations again on finishing her up, and I look forward to the graduation post. All the best.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nathan, i sent you a PM!
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    DRIVE ON !!!...da Bat