Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Coilover tool

Post Thanks / Like

Coilover tool

What does everyone use to adjust their coilovers? The kit doesn't come with a tool.
    33 Hot Rod w/ deluxe 32 nose
    350 SBC and 700r4 automatic, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears
    Order date:4/25/19, Deliver date 6/10/19
    First run 10/6/2019, Go cart 11/3/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I used an oil filter wrench, I protected the ring so it does not get marred, and I placed a bit of copper sulphate grease on the shaft of the shock so the ring does not bind. Just remember to screw in the lock pin after.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can get the correct tool from Summit Racing. Use the correct tool and you won't damage the adjusters and use never seize on the threads so they won't gall. Never adjust them with the car's weight on them -- jack up the end you're working on and let the wheels hang free before adjusting spring pre-load.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

4. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBBJ 32 HOTROD View Post
    What does everyone use to adjust their coilovers? The kit doesn't come with a tool.

It actually does come with a tool, Its a bare steel piece with a half moon shape on one end and a square tab off the end of the half moon. it has a slight bend at the end of the handle end. If you cant find it let me know, I have a bunch of them and can send you one.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you happen to know what box?

Post Thanks / Like
    Naz, yes I do take the weight off the wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBBJ 32 HOTROD View Post
    Do you happen to know what box?
    Must be in a box by itself....that I didn't get.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    The tool is pretty inexpensive. I ended up with a set made by Tokiko, as that's what they had in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Coil.../dp/B00PC7PIVC

Post Thanks / Like
    Teng Tools 50-120mm (2 Inch - 4 3/4 Inch) Adjustable Hook Pin C Spanner/Wrench (Pin Size: 6)- HP2036 available from Amazon among others. Use in conjunction with a strap wrench and you are good to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    On my Konis, the ring is a pin style, not slotted like some motorcycles. The adjustment wrench has to be a pin type for Konis shocks. The first one shown above won't work on the konis. You need the second one shone by teng tools. I bought one and still had to grind the thing to fit the contour of the ring. Also, a drift punch of right size also works just as well for a he'll of a lot less money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brave Salmon View Post
    On my Konis, the ring is a pin style, not slotted like some motorcycles. The adjustment wrench has to be a pin type for Konis shocks. The first one shown above won't work on the konis. You need the second one shone by teng tools. I bought one and still had to grind the thing to fit the contour of the ring. Also, a drift punch of right size also works just as well for a he'll of a lot less money.
    I had one spring collar that I couldn't turn by hand and this worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    You can get the correct tool from Summit Racing. Use the correct tool and you won't damage the adjusters and use never seize on the threads so they won't gall. Never adjust them with the car's weight on them -- jack up the end you're working on and let the wheels hang free before adjusting spring pre-load.
    Naz, far be it from me to argue with an expert builder such as yourself, but wouldn’t the never sieze attract road grime as you drive? I’m afraid of the grit in the grease causing problems. Aluminum is so soft that it galls easily and when two aluminum elements are in contact I fear for pickup, thus permanently locking the nut onto the sleeve. I have always used a fry lubricant on mechanisms that operate in dirty environments. I used spray-on Teflon on mine. If it doesn’t allow enough lubrication, dry moly could be added. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    We actually have an adjustable oil filter wrench that can be disengaged and sized, wraps around well and easy to use even in some tight spaces. As well we placed a very small amount of copper anti-seize to allow it to be adjusted easier wiping off any excess, has worked great and does not affect the lock screw.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I am missing the point but I have a pair of wrenches that I got for my double adjustable QA-1's. They came as a set and they are obviously for specific purpose on the top and bottom rings. This is very handy to break the rings loose when adjusting. NAZ hit it right.

IMG_5401.jpgIMG_5402.jpgIMG_5403.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 03-21-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Maybe I am missing the point but I have a pair of wrenches that I got for my double adjustable QA-1's. They came as a set and they are obviously for specific purpose on the top and bottom rings. This is very handy to break the rings loose when adjusting. NAZ hit it right.

IMG_5401.jpgIMG_5402.jpgIMG_5403.jpg
    My shocks didn't come with the wrenches. I think that's the more common experience.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    After trying to keep the tube from turning while I cranked on the ring with the spanner (almost impossible on the front) I pulled the shocks and adjusted then on the bench. It was easier to hold the ring with the spanner and crank on the tube with the strap wrench. I did put oil on the threads and cleaned it off with acetone when I was done.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I bought these at Summit. They are for the QA-1's as well so would not be for everyone.

19. Thanks russwaggs thanked for this post