Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Where did my oil go?

Post Thanks / Like

Where did my oil go?

Checked my oil yesterday at the end of a 200km round trip and it was all the way down at the tip of the dipstick. I recently changed it and have put about 1000km (600 miles) or less since the change.
    My high mileage engine has been known to consume some oil but nothing like this. I probably haven’t checked it since shortly after I changed it.

It’s either burnt but at that rate I’d think I’d see blue exhaust and I never have seen any sign of oil in my exhaust

No leaks I have seen any indication of.

Possible it is trapped somewhere? Lifter valley not draining?

Any thoughts?

Today is the last warm day probably till spring. Driving season about over altogether so I will probably top it up and go for a drive.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to guess you did not fill the oil filter/cooler and checked the oil before starting the engine.
    If that is not the case, check your pcv valve.
    I agree, passing that much oil, should be smoking or dripping.
    good luck,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    No cooler, I filled the filter and I did check the oil after it had run and level was fine. I’ll check pcv again, changed to a different one trying to sort out oil consumption two summers ago.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a new build engine in #7750 that consumed a bunch of oil when new. At least a quart or two every 500 - 600 miles. Really bad, and scary for a new (and expensive) engine. Turned out I didn't seal the rocker arm studs properly (long story, won't repeat) and is was sucking down oil. Went through the usual suspects, e.g. valve guides, PCV, leaks, etc. But finally found and fixed. But just FYI I didn't see it in the exhaust. Seems that you would, but didn't. The inside of the pipe tips might have been a little sooty, but that was it. The main tell was the plugs. It was pretty obvious from looking at them I had an oil consumption problem. So if you haven't looked there, you should. Good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-29-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will have a look at the plugs. Last year when I found out I was consuming oil I checked the plugs and they were perfect, haven’t recently though.

Post Thanks / Like
    High oil consumption may not be seen as smoking exhaust, valve guide wear is easy to see on deceleration. I have found that spark plugs won't show it unless it is valve guide wear, then you will see fluffy carbon build on the electrode of the plugs. If you can do a leak down test like we do on aircraft engines it will tell you more by leak down ratios and sound, like leaking into the exhaust system or into the crankcase. The base line is 80 PSI charge into the cylinder, anything less than 70PSI/80PSI is considered unhealthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn’t have a lot of time today, pulled 4 and 5 plug, both nice and white to tan colour.
    Pulled pcv, clean, not stuck. Checked both ends of the pcv hose, no sign of oil.

Don, when you say valve guide wear is easy to see on deceleration, do you mean in the form of smoke from high vacuum pulling oil through?

Heads I bought 10yr old NOS in the factory boxes/bags. Only have 6000 km on them.

old timer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you use synthetic oil? And what weight?

Post Thanks / Like
    Valve guides are not the problem they used to be, 50's and 60's. With the low mileage on your heads, I would looks else where first.
    I would pull all plugs for a look. Also, would not rule out pcv valve. If you can get in the driving time, you might by pass the pcv and see how the oil consumption looks.
    Hope it is not this, but the all paper Fel Pro print o seal gaskets are sometimes an issue. The bottom lip on the intake and gasket, might be pulling in oil from the valley. Have you noticed any changes in idle or low speed throttle?
    How much oil was missing, 2 qts?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the long term forecast our driving season might be done. At least for any longer drives.
    I haven’t got oil to fill it back up yet, bottom of dipstick should be a quart down? Maybe more?

Intake gaskets are the steel core ones specific to the GT40 heads I have. Engine is running great/normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes on deceleration under high vacuum you can see blue smoke if guides are worn or valve seals have not been installed or installed incorrectly. It would not result in a large loss oil more smoke than consumption. If the PCV valve was the culprit it should affect idle and there should be a lot of smoke visible at idle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put in a full quart today which brought it right back to the full line. Just running 10w30 or 40 Dino oil.
    I would say it consumes more with the 30 in it.

I have never seen oil smoke in 4000 miles but obviously it’s burning it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: "obviously it’s burning it." . . . not necessarily. If you have bad valve guides on the exhaust side, oil can be pulled out with the exhaust and never show signs of "burning oil". Oil has to be pulled into the intake or combustion chambers to "burn".

Any oil leaking into the EGR system will cause the same conditions - oil gets sucked into the exhaust system after cylinder firing.

Check the inside of your pipes for oil slick or wet condition.

You mentioned the GT 40 heads, do you have the GT 40 manifold as well? The one with the tubes? They are known to have an oil consumption issue if the lower half doesn't have the baffle mod done to it. The baffle needs to be half the length of the lower, NOT the little one that just covers the PCV port. They would use about a Qt in 500-750 Mi.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 10-31-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doc,
    Engine is carb with an edelbrock rpm manifold. No EGR, PCV is on the passenger side valve cover and has a baffle under it.
    Heads have 4000 miles on them, unlikely to have worn guides?
    Unfortunately driving season is done, they salted the roads here last night so unless we get a big warm up I’ll be off the roads till April or May.

Post Thanks / Like
    The short block has 100k plus miles, I’m sure it probably needs rings.
    This is the lowest I’ve seen the oil go so it shocked me a bit, but one quart down I can live with until I can afford a new engine build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    The short block has 100k plus miles, I’m sure it probably needs rings.
    This is the lowest I’ve seen the oil go so it shocked me a bit, but one quart down I can live with until I can afford a new engine build.
    Yep, I am old enough to remember engines that burned oil normally. Adding a quart now and then is no big deal. Your plugs are not being fouled so there really is no downside. I'd build a new engine when I want more hp and not even think about the oil except to remember to check it once in a while. (A side story. 50 yrs ago my brother had an old 40s Cadillac and Hess was the cheapest gas station. That worked out great because they also had a pump w/ engine oil in it. So he'd start filling the gas tank, check the oil dipstick and pump in whatever it needed to get the oil level correct.)
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

18. Likes Boydster, jrcuz liked this post