Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tilton fluid reservoir

Post Thanks / Like

Tilton fluid reservoir

I thought the Tilton fluid reservoir had the diaphragm to keep moisture out, they don't. Wouldn't keeping moisture out be important for brake fluid? Here are some pictures.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I cut the fingers out of some nitrite gloves to basically make a little brake reservoir balloon on each cap.

I tie wrapped each balloon on the end of each cap which sort of looks like mini condoms but nobody sees them so who cares.

It would be nice if they had a traditional rubber do-hickie under the cap, but they don't.

Long vacuum caps might work too.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-06-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Says right on the reservoir 'for racing only', so no they would not have a diaphragm, only needed on passenger cars. Brake fluid is constantly changed on race cars, so no chance of moisture contamination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't you just block the holes in the cap? maybe drill and tap them and put a nice ss cap screw in there?
    I have this same unit. No you go me thinking......

Post Thanks / Like
    Better yet
    I am planning on putting on a rubber cap on the end of the extension on the inside the cap-
    M

Post Thanks / Like
    Little bit of caution here. Don't think you want to seal those reservoirs so tight that it creates a vacuum or any kind of pressure that would prevent the fluid from flowing to/from the MC's. Including as the pads wear, the caliper pistons stay out further, and more fluid is required to fill the space. Agree a diaphragm that can rise/fall might be best. Some reservoirs have a one-way valve of sorts. Has anyone called or contacted Tilton to see what they recommend? My impression from using a number of their parts is they are a top notch company with very high quality products. It would be important I think to know what they say about this.

BTW, a whole bunch of aftermarket parts say "For Racing Only." It's the lawyers at work. With Factory Five too. If you look closely in the fine print in your build manual, you'll see words like "...This kit is only a collection of parts designed for use primarily as a race car..." and "...The products offered for sale are true race car components..." Etc. You get the idea.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Maybe we can find some diaphragms that would fit.
    I'll stop by the "Help Me" section at the auto parts store on the way home.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like each chamber is about the size of the reservoir on my c5, maybe that diaphragm would fit . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Howe Racing has a diaphragm bellows that may fit that cap.
    https://howeracing.com/index.php/cat...sult/?q=524352
    M143978033.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
    Howe Racing has a diaphragm bellows that may fit that cap.
    https://howeracing.com/index.php/cat...sult/?q=524352
    M143978033.jpeg
    Those could be the solution to the F5 reservoirs, also. I did not see any dimensions?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.