Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 35 Truck - How Comfortable to Drive ?

Post Thanks / Like

35 Truck - How Comfortable to Drive ?

Hello all...I'm still looking into ordering the 35 Truck kit but would like any thoughts about how comfortable the truck is to drive with bench seat and suspension etc. Specifically I would drive mine quite alot and take it on longer journeys. I'm 5' 10" so I don't think height would be an issue but I can't tell if the ride is hard or soft etc. I have a 2009 Ford Ranger truck which I love and it is quite comfortable. I can take a 300-400 mile trips in that and not have any comfort problems. Is the 35 truck just good for short trips or would it be comfortable on longer journeys ?

Many thanks for anyone's thoughts on this ?

Thanks...JB

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 5' 8" and do not fit comfortably. With both knees bent, the back of my head still hits the rear window.

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s all personal preference, builders choice etc. The only way to know is to find one and try it out. Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rob...I noticed your in Hampshire. I live in Wayne, IL, little south of Elgin. Wondering if you would be open for me to come take a look at your truck ? If not I totally understand...thanks...JB

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure. I sent you a pm

Post Thanks / Like
    The seat essentially sits on the floor, so you sit upright with your legs pretty much straight in front of you instead of down below your butt. It isn't the most comfortable ride, as the cab is pretty small. With that being said, I'm 6'6" 275lbs and I fit. You just have to build it around your own rear end and put everything where it fits.
    FFR Hot Rod Truck #79
    Gen III Coyote with 6R80 A/T

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a small cab area but I decided to raise the seats up about 5.5 in to give a little room and some added space below for storage, trans controller..... I went with the 33 bucket seats and I'm 5-11" and hope to fit well.
    seat supports.JPG
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    JB Wrote: "Is the 35 truck just good for short trips or would it be comfortable on longer journeys ?"

I wonder also. I'm still in build (took Summer off due to heat) but how is the ride from those that have ridden?
    FFR 35 p/u # 0014
    I used to think I needed a Rolex watch, now I’d be happier with a Swedish K!

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s worth noting that the bench now comes with some risers that bring it up just a bit. I think this solved some of the bench fitment issues the early guys were having. I just noticed that the digital manual has been updated to include additional instructions for the bench seat risers too that were not in my printed manual that was sent just last month.
    FFR Hot Rod Truck #79
    Gen III Coyote with 6R80 A/T

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO mine which is Chassis #004 is a 2 hour type of ride. I am 6'3" and 240 lbs with a 32" inseam.

11. Thanks FlyFactoryFive thanked for this post
    Likes FlyFactoryFive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all...very helpful and I hope to visit with Rob to see his as he lives just up the road.

Part 2 of the question is - How is the ride with the standard suspension you get with the kit ? Hard, soft or something else?

Thanks

JB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JBRoberts View Post
    Thanks all...very helpful and I hope to visit with Rob to see his as he lives just up the road.

Part 2 of the question is - How is the ride with the standard suspension you get with the kit ? Hard, soft or something else?

Thanks

JB
    All FFR kits are on the stiff side for handling purposes IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used different shocks and swapped out springs a few times to get my 33 to ride the way I wanted it. (softer). I'm not concerned with auto crossing or racing my car, I wanted to drive it not race it. With that said i've driven my car from Ohio to Factory Five last year on Labor Day weekend. Round trip was almost 1,700 miles. It has over 7000 miles and a lot of those are 200 plus mile trips.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

15. Thanks FlyFactoryFive thanked for this post
    Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CVOBill View Post
    I used different shocks and swapped out springs a few times to get my 33 to ride the way I wanted it. (softer). I'm not concerned with auto crossing or racing my car, I wanted to drive it not race it. With that said i've driven my car from Ohio to Factory Five last year on Labor Day weekend. Round trip was almost 1,700 miles. It has over 7000 miles and a lot of those are 200 plus mile trips.
    What springs and shocks did you end up using?

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    QA1 shocks, 375# front spring and 250# rear spring
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

18. Thanks Cobradavid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    IMO mine which is Chassis #004 is a 2 hour type of ride. I am 6'3" and 240 lbs with a 32" inseam.
    Could you elaborate on the physical fit please? I'm 6'3" 200# 33 inseam (get 32 or 34 pants depending on how they fit me) so we're pretty close. I'd be interested in headroom, is the steering wheel in your chest, leg room, etc. I wouldn't drive the truck 2 hrs but don't want to be in a tuna can either, especially if wanting to have a bit of fun it in. Would like to have a little room.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m also very curious about fit. I am 6’1” /225 and tried the Cobra and my head was abovewindshield. Then I tried type 65 and it was tight. I have a stock 35’ Ford pickup and of course it has lots of room so I thought the FFR truck would be the answer. Based on posts I’ve seen it now has me wondering about fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always find a finished one to sit in before you buy! I personally Know of several folks who bought kits and sold them unfinished because they did not fit in the vehicle as comfortable as they envisioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Whoa....

Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Always find a finished one to sit in before you buy! I personally Know of several folks who bought kits and sold them unfinished because they did not fit in the vehicle as comfortable as they envisioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't expect the fit to be as comfy as I would expect if I were doing a cross-country trip with the family.

Post Thanks / Like
    im in Dundee not far from both of you and interested the same thing I'm 6' and worried about too small leg room Is there a chance you guys could let check out your trucks thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    What does a finished 33 truck weigh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CVOBill View Post
    QA1 shocks, 375# front spring and 250# rear spring
    this is exactly the setup I have on my 818c. I’m planning to take some long trips in it and my hope is to achieve a reasonable ride quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wait, I swapped the front /rear springs since my engine is mid mounted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the truck weighs 2300-2400 lbs when finished. My truck is finished I’m just going thru the motions trying to get it legal. Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I just hit 500 miles on my truck. It rides much smoother than my Cobra. I think it could use a rear sway bar as I get alot of rear body roll. I'm gonna look into that.
    I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. Its kinda tight for me, I actually have more room in the Cobra. I have sliders on the Cobra seats and I'm not all the way back. Truck seat is all the way back, no sliders. I just moved my pedals down closer to the floor, that made it more comfortable for me. A friend of mine who's over 6' tall could not fit in the passenger side, his shins hit the bottom of the dash.
    That's really my only complaint, tight cab. I'm planning to drive it from south Florida to the FFR Open House in June.

Post Thanks / Like
    After much trial and error I ended elevating my bench seat 4' in front and 2'in back, using 2 x 4 aluminum box cutdown; feels quite comfortable with out feeling too crowded.