Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Valve covers ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Valve covers ideas

Have a 91 5.0 and we have the pretty fined and painted black COBRA valve covers, my question is how to do the PCV system. This originally had PCV in the EFI intake in the valley and had one valve cover with the fill cap which had the port for fresh air into the intake. We are carbureted . Where do you guys put the PCV valve. On a street rod I would just drill the valve cover ,put a grommet in it and go. Any ideas or suggestion?

Thanks

Colin

Post Thanks / Like
    PCV in the DS valve cover, hose goes to a port under the carburetor. PS valve cover has a breather with a hose into the air cleaner housing. (hose is not connected in the pic.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

3. Thanks Auto thanked for this post
    Likes Auto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most valve covers that have provisions for pcv have a baffle below the valve inside the valve cover.
    This prevents the pcv valve from drawing in liquid droplets of oil, splashing off the valve train.
    Without this, you will probably encounter, higher than normal oil consumption and or mild smoking.
    I guess there is a rare chance your valve covers might have a shield already in place. I would check before drilling.
    If you can find a filler cap like boat737, put the hose on the tube, use an inline pcv and draw fresh air off the new hole drilled in the opposite valve cover.
    good luck,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

5. Thanks Auto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same finned Cobra Powered by Ford valve covers and here are two pictures. The PCV valve is on the back right and the line from it runs through an air oil separator to the nipple for it on the front of the carb base. The breather is on the left incorporated into the fill cap and runs to the base plate of the air cleaner.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Thanks Auto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    PCV in the DS valve cover, hose goes to a port under the carburetor. PS valve cover has a breather with a hose into the air cleaner housing. (hose is not connected in the pic.)
    yes that's like mine, just hate to drill the cover. Will pull it tomorrow and see if there is a place to install baffle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or forget the pcv and just vent the engine to a tank.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

10. Thanks Auto thanked for this post
    Likes Auto, RBachman liked this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    PCV? What's that?
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

12. Thanks Auto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are EFI (no hole for a PCV valve) and carb (has a hole for PCV) versions of Cobra valve covers. Is there a boss for you to drill? If not, how are going to seal on the fins?
    You do not want to run unvented. The crankcase pressure, and there always is some, will come out somewhere. It could blow the dipstick out (been there, done that, even vented) or it will come out through the seals.
    I am running a half open system like a lot of guys. PCV on the passenger side and and open Moroso separator on the drivers side. Open vents are better for the engine, but messy and bad for the environment. Fully recirculated, gunks up your intake and valves, but keeps the trees and bunnies happier.

If you drill, you will need to ensure that there is a baffle or you will be putting oil into your intake. Here are a couple things that I learned along the way.
    If you have anything much taller than stock rocker arms, the stock baffles will hit. So, I got slick an made some baffles that notched up closer to the valve cover. ......and here is the problem with that. You actually need the space there, or the air velocity will be higher and the oil won't fall out. I saw some actual testing and it was significant. I put the stock baffles in and got some spacers from here https://medicemfg.com/products_get.p...ers%20-%20Ford. Very happy with them.

14. Thanks Auto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    tried to post pics, don't have that figured out yet.
    It has a boss for PVC and 3 little bosses for screws for baffle
    drill it this weekend and go to parts store and get valve, grommet and hose
    Thanks for ideas and pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    If there is no boss try push in breathers with a rubber grommet. Cut the hole Dremel any fin that interferes. Breather sets with a grommet are about $13 & up.

Started out with hoses, a catch can (can is still on the firewall) & vent hose then switched to breathers to clean up the area.

Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

17. Thanks Auto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get a pcv grommet and measure the outside sealing edge diameter, before drilling.
    The baffle is usually a flat plate that prevents oil from traveling toward the pcv opening.
    After you drill and tap for the screws that hold the baffle and comfortable you have it right, use RED loctite on the screws.
    ,,,don't want those to go mia on you.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

19. Thanks Auto thanked for this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Headers.jpgThis is what well ventilated valve covers look like. Unless you live in an area that requires smog checks, this style vent keeps the nasty stuff out of your intake and cylinders. Ever pull an engine apart that's had crankcase gasses or EGR gasses fed back into the intake?
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

21. Thanks Auto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I left the PVC behind many years & miles ago. Two K&N style breather/filters, one on each cover.

Engine is dirtier on the outside and cleaner on the inside.

Jim

23. Thanks Auto thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a small air filter on as my PCV valve.

25. Thanks Auto thanked for this post