BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Video: Second Legal/Registered Drive

Post Thanks / Like

Video: Second Legal/Registered Drive

I didn't have the GoPro charged for the first legal drive, so I settled for the second. :wink2: This was about a 30 minute drive in total, and overall, pretty unexciting as I'm not one to drive (too) aggressively. Here's a few quick clips of the cruise.

Starting about 1:45, a guy rolls up and is passing compliments. He wants me to punch it, so I give it just a blip in 3rd so he could hear it.

Then at 2:10, on a wide and open road, I give it a bit more go pedal and find out that it will kick loose in 3rd at over 50mph. :grin2:

--Nathan
    Last edited by silver_pilate; 11-02-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

2. Likes ydousurf, RBachman, Straversi, GoDadGo, rsw81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smiles for miles... Enjoy the drive(s), Nathan!

Dj

Post Thanks / Like
    How fun it is

Post Thanks / Like
    Great times!!!
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those of us who are awaiting their engine to arrive appreciate being able to experience driving these wonderful beasts vicariously through your videos.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Nathan-

I enjoyed watching your video -- each time I watched it! I smiled when the tires got a little loose on you, and you looked back at the camera; I thought it was a funny reaction.

Keep enjoying your hard work, and thanks for sharing your progress!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for watching, everyone. I know when I was dreaming about buying a kit, waiting for delivery of the kit, getting stalled out because of life or missing parts, and waiting for the motor/transmission/paint, etc., I would dig through YouTube looking for videos of roadsters being driven, imagining it being me some day.

Well, I'm here to say, keep dreaming, saving, striving, waiting, and solving, and you WILL be there some day!! I hope builders and dreamers alike can get some inspiration from the videos.

--Nathan
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

9. Likes ydousurf, Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you are enjoying it. Looks like you need and alignment. That will go a long was at making the car not move around so much. The other thing is 22psi in the tires is all you need. You will love that engine in the upper rev band at WOT.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Gordon. I'm enjoying the motor for sure. And it screams at WOT in the upper rpms. I aligned the car myself using for plates and a caster/camber gauge. It could probably stand to be checked again, but we do have some pretty heavily rutted roads that like to pull the car around. And it was a somewhat windy day.

I will say that this motor likes the drink the fuel around town. I expected as much, but it will burn through 1/8 a tank in pretty easy stop and go driving with just a few instances of lead foot. That's what you get in a rock and roller motor.

I have thought I might be running rich, so I spot read a few plugs last night. I'm thinking they are a bit dark and showing a rich mixture, but I'm fairly new to it. Here's a representative picture, and I'd be curious as to what you think:

Last edited by silver_pilate; 11-03-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Little fat but not too bad
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to centre your wheel it’s wont take much. Mine was off about the same, only took 1/2 turn of each tie rod end to centre it.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll probably do that soon. It gives me a clear view of the speedo right now, but also obscures the tach just a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was street legal on Monday. Today I surpassed 100 miles on the odometer. So far, the only issue I've had (besides using lots of gas ) is a few drops of coolant from the lower radiator hose when cooling down. I tightened up the T-bolt clamps and we will see if that solves the issue. I'm slowly gaining confidence in it's reliability and my ability to drive it. Lots of fun.

--Nathan

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations On Becoming A Law Abiding Citizen!

I'm sure your family is thrilled that you are no longer a criminal!

17. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice video and definitely is getting me interested in getting back into a roadster. Just a matter of time.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.