BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Picking up roadster from FFR, have questions

Post Thanks / Like

Picking up roadster from FFR, have questions

I will be picking up my roadster in the next week or two from factory five. The roadster will be in a rolling chassis which will make this process/pickup easier. The questions that I have are more geared towards prepping the garage or organization.

What should i prepare now prior to the pickup?

what was the way that some of you organized all the parts during and after inventory process?

what other processes worked for you guys in preparation?

Other than the typical garage car guy tool set, what tools should i get now?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated that wasn't asked?

I normally try to conduct all this research initially by myself, however i am behind the curve for research due to just getting back from deployment so any input is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by nick7405; 11-02-2019 at 11:17 AM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try looking at build threads for info. Here is mine. I would get all the stuff that does not come with the kit before you pick it up. It really speeds up the whole deal, IMO.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the purchase. I'm curious what you mean by, "The roadster will be in a rolling chassis which will make this process/pickup easier."? Are you taking a chassis dolly with you? Is FFR doing something different than their typical chassis prep? A single garage stall area is needed to store the kit once you get it home. Depending on what you ordered with the kit, you can expect around 20 boxes of varying sizes (about a pickup bed worth of space). The key is to be as organized as you can be. Keep the parts in the boxes that came in and print a copy of your inventory and keep it near your stored boxes to help you find where the parts are for each step in the assembly. It also helps to write a general description of the parts in a box on the outside to help you locate the parts later. The inventory is organized by basic assemblies that will map to one or two boxes per section. Storing the body on a buck is typical, and some rig simple hoists to hang the body. The body is the one thing that can get in the way if you are working with limited space, but on a rolling buck, can be easily moved out of the way when you need.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

4. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The roadster will be in a rolling chassis which will make this process/pickup easier."

Not sure what you mean by this. Here's how mine was delivered. I supplied the roller cart

IMG_1955.jpg
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

6. Thanks Sdonnel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second what Papa says about keeping parts in the box in which they came, & writing a general description of what's in the box on the outside where you can read it easily. Also, some of the parts come in their own little boxes inside the big boxes. It's much easier to locate the fuel filter if it's in a little white box labeled "fuel filter" in addition to whatever the F5 part number is.

Eventually, you'll work your way through a box and be left with a single bag of nuts & bolts. It's very tempting to just chuck it in the next box. Before you do, however, write down the original box number on that plastic bag with a sharpie. Then annotate on your packing list the new box to which you moved the bag.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

8. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Nick, and congratulations on your purchase!

If you mean that you are bringing a rolling chassis dolly, then FFR will likely be able to drop your chassis right down on top of it. They are very helpful in the loading up process.

Here are a few thoughts on your questions:

Clear our all the garage space you can make available. If you are going to store the body on a body buck you can make that now.

what was the way that some of you organized all the parts during and after inventory process?
    As others have mentioned, the parts all come in numbered boxes and smaller parts in bags inside the boxes. For the most part, all are bundled by the major component (e.g. a few boxes for the IRS components, a box for front suspension components, a box of all carpet pieces, etc). You will receive a complete paperwork set when you pickup the kit which includes the inventory sheets by box showing what is in each and every box. You will also get a POL (Parts on Order List), which will detail whatever parts you have on backorder and will receive at a later date.

The inventory process includes methodically going through each box and checking off each item on the provided inventory sheet, noting any missing or broken items (I had a few). Notify FFR with any missing items and they will take care of you. After completing each box, I closed it back up, taped the inventory sheet on the outside of it, wrote a high level description of contents on the outside in big letters, and stacked them in the back of the garage. That way you can easily spot the box(es) you need for each stage of the build.

When you receive backordered things, mark them off on the POL list and then put them into the box they were originally supposed to be in. This will make sense when you see the paperwork.

Also, a few boxes were large and not needed for some time, so I moved them offsite to a storage unit I already have (e.g. wheels, seats, windshield, etc).

Honestly, my build date came up much faster than expected, so I didnt have much time to prepare. Just clear out the garage and dig in. It's a blast. Oh yeah - bring plenty of ratchet straps when you pick it up. And maybe some moving blankets for padding.

Not much really. Maybe a bunch of clecos, a pneumatic rivet gun (I bought from Harbor Freight and its working great), a hand rivet gun. I am borrowing an engine hoist when I get to that stage from a neighbor and have made use of the free rental tool program at the local autozone when I needed something I didnt want to own (such as an enormous torque wrench for the front hubs).

Read some of the popular build threads. Lots of great tips, advice, ideas, and inspiration.

-Jason
    Last edited by Traveller; 11-02-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    MK4 Complete Kit #9673 | Ordered: 08/07/2019 | Pickup: 08/24/2019
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...IRS-Build-9673

Post Thanks / Like
    During inventory, make sure to inventory every nut and bolt in the hardware packs as well. This is a great time to familiarize yourself with how things are named and what each piece of hardware looks like.

What I did is just keep the larger items in their numbered boxes. I then had a labeled/numbered stackabke bin that corresponded to every numbered box, and I placed the hardware packs from each box into it's bin. I made sure the packs were labeled appropriately and bagged them myself if needed.

Also, scan your packing list into a PDF and run text recognition. This creates a searchable digital packing list that can help you find things as you go.

Nathan
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19

11. Likes RBachman, ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As you inventory, you may find items missing that are not on the POL list. I had about a dozen items not listed as missing. Let FF know ASAP and they will send them to you.

Tools handy to have: pneumatic rivet gun (you only have to set a couple thousand rivets).

Also, add a signature and include your built details, i.e. engine, trans, rear end, extras, etc... This will help people understand your build (when you're asking questions) and save time... they won't have to ask a bunch of questions before answering your questions.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    My final recommendation is to read the manual all the way through before you start. This will allow you to get a feel for the order that things go to together in and avoid having to move something later after you mount something where a different part belongs.

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

14. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of the stuff is in plastic bags with a number on it referencing the inventory sheet. I took sharpie and wrote what it was for on the plastic bag too, just saves time later when you’re looking for something.

Pneumatic rivot gun is a must too.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies everybody. Looks like i'm just in a waiting game then for a week until i pick up the car.

To clear up the confusion, the 'rolling chassis' comment is that part of the deal was to pick up the roadster assembled enough so I can roll it. I purchased the kit at Barrett Jackson. They usually have a partly assembled complete kit with a bunch of options added on and assembled so it can be easily rolled and picked up by an interested customer at the car show in their booth. I saw the car at the barrett jackson car auction last July, however was unable to pick up the vehicle due to my work schedule. So part of the deal at purchase was to pick up the car as a 'roller' when work allowed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nick7405 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everybody. Looks like i'm just in a waiting game then for a week until i pick up the car.

To clear up the confusion, the 'rolling chassis' comment is that part of the deal was to pick up the roadster assembled enough so I can roll it. I purchased the kit at Barrett Jackson. They usually have a partly assembled complete kit with a bunch of options added on and assembled so it can be easily rolled and picked up by an interested customer at the car show in their booth. I saw the car at the barrett jackson car auction last July, however was unable to pick up the vehicle due to my work schedule. So part of the deal at purchase was to pick up the car as a 'roller' when work allowed.

Nick, Welcome back from your deployment. Thank your for your service. I recall meeting you and your wife, and new baby, at Barrett Jackson when you purchased the kit.

Yes it will be a roller! I have been over to Factory Five and have seen it in process.

Good luck with the build and let me know if have any questions I can assist you with!

Ron.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    Nick, Welcome back from your deployment. Thank your for your service. I recall meeting you and your wife, and new baby, at Barrett Jackson when you purchased the kit.

Yes it will be a roller! I have been over to Factory Five and have seen it in process.

Good luck with the build and let me know if have any questions I can assist you with!

Ron.
    Thanks Ron, I'll probably be picking up the car next weekend and will definitely be taking you up on that offer due to having a lot of questions about the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Howdy Nick,

I have an off the wall question and comment.

Not sure what state you're from but did you check to see if it's cheaper to just have Stewart Transport deliver it to you?

Did you know that by picking up your purchase you'll pay MA sales tax vs no sales tax by having Stewart deliver it to you?

Just sayin'....

Quote Originally Posted by nick7405 View Post
    I will be picking up my roadster in the next week or two from factory five. The roadster will be in a rolling chassis which will make this process/pickup easier. The questions that I have are more geared towards prepping the garage or organization.

I normally try to conduct all this research initially by myself, however i am behind the curve for research due to just getting back from deployment so any input is greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aircontroller View Post
    Howdy Nick,

I have an off the wall question and comment.

Not sure what state you're from but did you check to see if it's cheaper to just have Stewart Transport deliver it to you?

Did you know that by picking up your purchase you'll pay MA sales tax vs no sales tax by having Stewart deliver it to you?

Just sayin'....
    Just to clarify, if you pay sales tax in MA, when you eventually register your car, be sure to provide proof and you'll settle up with the difference +/- with your state.

For those having their cars delivered, you'll owe sales tax in your state unless your state doesn't have a sales tax.

21. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Just to clarify, if you pay sales tax in MA, when you eventually register your car, be sure to provide proof and you'll settle up with the difference +/- with your state.

For those having their cars delivered, you'll owe sales tax in your state unless your state doesn't have a sales tax.
    Correct- and he is from Mass. If he doesn’t pay it when he picks up the kit he could be subject to penalties and fees, and FFR would be in violation of tax laws.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

23. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    so to clarify i am not from MA, however appreciate the heads up.

25. Likes Aircontroller liked this post