FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Type 65 chassis identification number

Post Thanks / Like

Question Type 65 chassis identification number

Hi all, can anyone please share a photo of where I can find my chassis I’d number on my type 65? I painted over it with POR and before I put on panels I should probably find it. How deeply is it etched? Can I scotch brite the location to cut through the paint? Thank you.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is on chassis above pedal area. Faceing you if in seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. It's on the 2-inch chassis tube directly above where your left knee would be if sitting in the driver's seat. For the Gen 3 Coupe (can't cite experience for previous versions) also in almost the exact area where the lower tab from the instrument panel attaches to the 2-inch tube. A little unfortunate because it gets covered up some when you attach the dash. It's laser etched, I think, and not real deep into the metal. May not be real obvious if you have a thick coat of paint. But should uncover if you remove the paint in the right place. That same number is also on your Certificate of Origin and engraved nameplate you received with your kit. So depending on your requirements, and also local inspection requirements, you may not need to uncover the number on the actual chassis.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I can see it below my paint in that location thank you. Would WI state troopers be able to answer questions regarding what is required for inspection? This will be my first.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as that # matches your brass plate and COO that is all they need here in FL.