Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: has anyone mounted their heater in the upper trunk space?

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

has anyone mounted their heater in the upper trunk space?

for those with gloveboxes, seems that you could run a few long lines via the trans tunnel and put the heater in the trunk and offer some other ways to pipe in heat?
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

2. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a four speed squirrel cage fan from a heater in that area, but for footbox cooling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Somewhat similar thought, I’m thinking about mounting the fan under the top of the foot box, then moving the heater core further forward on the firewall. Connect the two with some flex hose. I don’t think putting the fan in this location would be intrusive, but I have to so some more measurements.

This would help in two ways: draw air from the cockpit rather than the engine bay, and give more room behind the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    for those with gloveboxes, seems that you could run a few long lines via the trans tunnel and put the heater in the trunk and offer some other ways to pipe in heat?
    I believe one fellow on the FFCars.com forum did just that. Had heat vents near the rear of the cockpit.

6. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For what it is worth, I'll offer a somewhat contrarian perspective. Keep in mind that I have both a heater (traditional mounting) and seat heaters. Yesterday, I drove a little over 250 miles in sub-50 degree weather. In fact, the start of the trip was in the upper 30's. My body (chest on down) was comfortable the entire time. I did not turn on the heat or the seat heaters. I was somewhat surprised. (Head, hand, and left shoulder are the areas that feel the wind and cold...)

I'm not sure I'd want to drive in weather much colder than this, as summer tires aren't all that great in cold weather. My suggestion is that you not get too concerned about how or where your heater is mounted, as you may be able to function quite well without it! I'm quite certain that there are others who will disagree with me, but while I'm glad I installed the heater and seat heaters, I'm also happy that I haven't had to use them!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

8. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can obtain a reasonable size glovebox and put the heater behind it without extending the firewall into the engine bay (tried that first). See post 110 in my build thread linked below. 1.5+” at the bottom and 1+” at the top. I live very close to AI_C above and agree that going out in too cool of temperatures definitely increases other driving risks beyond getting cold. I would shy on keeping it simple.
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My fuse block is under the dash on the passenger side of the car where the glove box would have gone.
    Since my wife wanted heat on her feet I created this using a Jeep CJ3 Heater Core, a choke cable, a heater valve and a little ingenuity.

Heater Pics:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=982

Fuse Block Pic:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...chmentid=51762

It won't keep you warm, but you'll be busy shifting, steering and staying out of the ditches doing the Factory Five Driving Duties!
    Hope this helps and if it doesn't then that's okay too .
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-05-2019 at 07:59 PM.

11. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Room for both, with a few modifications. Pushed the heater 2 1/2" into the engine compartment and made the glove box. Glover box is 3" deep at the top and 4" deep the bottom... the back is then the same angle as the heater box.

I have a heater and electric seat heaters and have been out at 35 degrees.

Dash Assy.jpg
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

13. Likes toadster, ydousurf liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Room for both, with a few modifications. Pushed the heater 2 1/2" into the engine compartment and made the glove box. Glover box is 3" deep at the top and 4" deep the bottom... the back is then the same angle as the heater box.

Dash Assy.jpg
    Oh Know Sir Ducky, The Good Knight!

A Better Path Hath Been Found For I Have Now Been Measured, Weighed & Found Wanting!

https://youtu.be/tdhQWkTl1PQ
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-06-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a full glovebox. I moved my heater to the middle and it is all happy.

heat.jpg

I must not be as tough as AL_C, I use my heater and heated seats quite a bit in the winter.....and I live in northern Florida.

I originally went to a LOT of effort to get my heater all behind the dash and pull the fresh air form inside the car. It all fit. Then I turned the fan on and it sounded horrific. Not to mention that it would have made any work behind the dash next to impossible. Out it came for a redesign. I would recommend keeping the fan in the engine bay.

I also use my ENTIRE trunk and often wish I had more. I would not want to give up the upper trunk floor.

16. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

I must not be as tough as AL_C, I use my heater and heated seats quite a bit in the winter.....and I live in northern Florida.
    Maybe "crazy" might be a better word than "tough"...
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I did!!! 2 separate heater cores in back in boxes that I made. Air is piped in and passes through hollow seat (coupe seats) and exits bottom of seat. Seat gets nice and warm and warm air passes up through your legs. There is a valve up by motor to bypass hot water so during summer I can blow cold air. Very nice setup
    John

19. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I did!!! 2 separate heater cores in back in boxes that I made. Air is piped in and passes through hollow seat (coupe seats) and exits bottom of seat. Seat gets nice and warm and warm air passes up through your legs. There is a valve up by motor to bypass hot water so during summer I can blow cold air. Very nice setup
    Jammin, can you post some pictures of your set up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rezell3d View Post
    Jammin, can you post some pictures of your set up?
    I will this weekend
    John

22. Likes rezell3d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well somebody has to say it..................I fitted a big 7 litre heater right in front of the cockpit.........

But we don't get snow here.........just rain
    FFR MkIV 8419 - Right Hand Drive
    427W with Inglese 8 Stack injection - 560hp
    TKO600 5 Speed, 8.8 Detroit Trutrak LSD IRS
    VPM Adjustable Sway Bars
    Vintage Wheels 17" Pin Drive

24. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    My fuse block is under the dash on the passenger side of the car where the glove box would have gone.
    Since my wife wanted heat on her feet I created this using a Jeep CJ3 Heater Core, a choke cable, a heater valve and a little ingenuity.

Heater Pics:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=982

Fuse Block Pic:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/albu...chmentid=51762

It won't keep you warm, but you'll be busy shifting, steering and staying out of the ditches doing the Factory Five Driving Duties!
    Hope this helps and if it doesn't then that's okay too .
    wow that's a work of art! looks great!
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post

Dash Assy.jpg
    so the heater is pulling air from the engine bay?
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Some idea of the room taken up in the trunk..

IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG

28. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    so the heater is pulling air from the engine bay?
    Yes, as originally designed.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035