Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can an older MKIV body be changed to the MKIV 25th Anniversary configuration?

Post Thanks / Like

Can an older MKIV body be changed to the MKIV 25th Anniversary configuration?

So it seems that the MKIV 25th Anniversary body is slightly different than the prior MKIV body. If I understand, from another thread, one of the changes allows or makes it easier to use 275/40-17s in the front.

My intentions are to run 275/40-17 and 335/35-17s or the comparable 18s as that's what I'm accustomed too. Rubbing on the inside may cause a concern and be difficult to correct, on the outside, well, it's just fiberglass.

Can the changes be adapted to an earlier MKIV body? Fancy glasswork? Saber saw compass?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim the problem w/ 275s up front on MkIV was in front of the tire when the steering is turned some and maybe a bump or driveway entry is hit. It was not up over top of the tire where you would normally expect it. Usually completely removing that inward turned flange all around the wheel opening took care of it. I think I saw a few comments about going just a little further in the front only. I have no experience w/ 335s on the rear though I expect they may be OK.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Craig. I thought I'd have to perform major surgery, not a bad plan just won't be pretty. I know Jeff K and others have mentioned cleaning up the front edge and was planning on that.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know where guys are getting the idea that 275s won't fit. Unless you're running some wonky offsets, a ridiculously low ride height or perhaps the wider 1996 and later spindles they don't pose a problem once the wheel well returns are trimmed and shaped.

Here's one with 275s that I finished a couple of months ago:

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff,

Looks great as your work always does. Are those the standard FFR wheels? Would assume so. And Goodyear GS-D3s, my favorites.

Thanks again for the confirmation.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I run 255's up front on a pre-25th MK-IV pure stock with no issues. What is the change in the body that enables the larger 275 tires to be used?
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
    I run 255's up front on a pre-25th MK-IV pure stock with no issues. What is the change in the body that enables the larger 275 tires to be used?

they're widening the front fender by about 1/2" - not huge, but every little bit helps for clearance...

a lot depends on the tires as well - section width can vary

for example:
    Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 - SIZE: 275/35ZR18 has a section width of 11.2"
    and PILOT SPORT A/S 3+SIZE: 275/35ZR18 has a section width of 10.9"

so even though it may be a 275 tire, the sizes can vary ... in this case by about 1/3" which can make a difference
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!