Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: Graduation of 9042

Post Thanks / Like

Graduation of 9042

F5 #9042, delivered Feb 2017

I've enjoyed the build of this machine more than a lot of things in my life, and its given me some real life over the last 2 years and 9 months. I had a different dog when I started and I bought my house because the garage was big enough to build an F5 Roadster. I started my spreadsheet sometime around 2012 and had been saving every dime I could save. I've been a fan of F5 ever since my first 5.0 Fox Mustang became my dream donor back in the late 90's and have been on this forum for over 5 years.

9042 is now legal, driving, sounding and looking awesome and getting smiles all over the place.

So here's the list that nobody reads... my Graduation of #9042 from a kit to a legal, operating, awesome car.

Factory 5 complete kit with powdercoated chassis, wind wings, sunvisors, floor mats, heater.

Ford 427W with X306 heads, 450 hp, 520 ft/lbs. Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake with FiTech 600hp fuel injection. Jones Racing 80/140 amp alternator and power steering, pump dyno'd for Fox rack. Pertronix Ignitor III ignition. Breeze / Canton oil pan. Fortes mechanical throttle linkage. K&N 8” top and side air cleaner.

F5 radiator as supplied, lots of Breeze parts: upper and lower rad hoses, upper and lower rad mounts, upper hinge cover, fan shroud. Canton recovery tank. ReplicaParts radiator front aluminum, Speedway honeycomb protection.

TKO600 from Fortes, .64 OD. Fortes hyd clutch actuation. Breeze / QuickTime steel bellhousing, Mcleod Super Street Pro clutch. Ford steel billet flywheel. ********** 427 Cobra shift handle.

Gas-N headers and sidepipes, all Remflex gaskets, Breeze alignment spacers.

American Racing Torq-Thrust Anthracite wheels and Nitto NT05 tires. 17X9, 17x10.5, 255/40 and 315/35.

Wilwood braking system as supplied thru F5. Non power, 12.19 and 12.88”. Lokar e-brake handle, Wilwood e-brake cables, e-brake mounted tunnel-top.

Fuel system: Full 3/8 (-6AN) pressure and return systems. Pro-M -6AN pump hanger, 190 lph pump. Fed Hill CNF fuel hardline, Earls Perform-o-flex soft lines. Holley 10 micron filter. Breeze tank vent, home made charcoal vent filter.

Moser 8.8 rear axle, all new, welded 3 link banana bracket, 3.55 gears.

Front suspension: Howe Racing upper and lower ball joints, Moog outer tie rods, Breeze power rack w/ extenders and boots.

Interior: Custom designed dash and switch panel, custom designed Speedhut Cobra gauges. F5 Leather and foam steering wheel, Breeze quick disconnect. Marine Supply stainless grab rail. Kirkey 55V seats, CobraHeat seat heaters. Leather dash, switch panel, center console, Herb's door panels with my leather. Racequip silver 3” race harnesses, 5 point with rotary latch. Ventilated footwells with Atwood 3” fans and home made 3” butterfly valves, ducted to ********** front brake scoops. Breeze cubby compartment., Russ's drop trunk box.

Assorted: Triple CNC reservoirs, Breeze stainless 1.75” roll bars (polished by Whitby's), ********** side louvers, ********** front and rear bumpers & grommets. ReplicaParts roll bar trim rings, FFMetals .090 firewall, Breeze hood and trunk lid prop rods, Carolina Laser switch labels.

Electrical: Full LED through out the car. JW Speaker projector headlights, JDM Astar front and rear signals, Superbright tag light lamps, trunk lighting, Breeze cubby lighting, under dash lighting. Signal Dynamics Back Off Pentastar rear tail light converter makes all 4 tail lights act as running, brake and turn signal, with turn signal over ride; Turn signal auto cancelling unit w/ turn signal flashers removed. Tangent fog lights, converted to LED. USB accessory power port. Breeze front mounted battery box.

Paint and bodywork by Whitby's of Greensboro, NC. Ford Sterling Gray main, Ford Silver Gray stripes, Ford Atlantic Blue pinstripes. Beautiful paint work.

Custom “BOSS 427” side badges made to my spec by Billet Badges.

As everyone knows, there's a lot more, but these are the big pieces. As everyone also knows, there's still things to be done, updates to things I dont like or aren't really right, things that I will do just because it's a hobby and I need to keep working on it.

Thanks to anyone and everyone that gave a tip, posted a hint, ran a build thread or just gave support when it was needed... car related or not. I could not have built this car without this Forum and all its members... but I might have a little more money if I hadn't found y'all just over 5 years ago. Thanks to Jeff@Whitby's... you taught me new levels of patience, but you delivered an almost perfect product, and made what was in my head really come true. Thanks to Mark Reynolds @ Breeze... your products are beyond expectation and took my car to the next level. Mike Everson @ ReplicaParts, thanks for the parts nobody else has.

Looking forward to meeting and seeing a lot of you in London, 2020. I'll be there with The Boss.

Last edited by Boydster; 11-05-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

2. Likes ydousurf, RBachman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

4. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! I’ve enjoyed following along from the beginning. Thank you for the thread. Lots of nice personal choices that only we (forum) will notice and appreciate. Beautiful job.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

6. Thanks Boydster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Job Boyd. Enjoy your journeys with the dogs.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

8. Likes Boydster liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations From New Orleans!

Great Job!

10. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is one very nicely done Roadster!
    Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and well done! Looks awesome.

Hope our paths cross sometime when I'm done with mine while cruising in the MD, VA, or DC area so I can see that beautiful ride in-person.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

13. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, very nice job.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

15. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Boydster,
    Congratulations! I too have been following along on your build and really appreciate you documenting your progress all along the way. I know you lost your best buddy (Trinket) a while back and that was a sad read. I'm very sorry for your loss and I was going to send my condolences then, but I was kind of just floating out here in the ether-webs and, well, I'm sorry I didn't earlier when that happened. I lost my best buddy (Oreo) a year ago and I haven't been the same without her. So, I know that pain all too well.

Anyway, I might not have been on from the beginning, but I no doubt have really enjoyed your build. You've done an amazing job and you should be very proud that --- YOU do indeed have an AWESOME car! I plan to go back through your build, specifically, since I too am going with the 427 and want to implement some things you did; heater, leds upgrade, below the dash panel expansion, air venting, etc... Let it be known that it was your build that inspired me to go with the wheels that you chose. I really dig the Halibrands, but everyone has them and so when I saw your wheels, I was like - OH YEAH! That changed with my ordering of 25th Edition and chose to go with the bronze wheels, but I still plan to get another set in the future to have a different tread to run in the fall and they will be like the ones you have. So thanks for the inspiration there! And the paint is just silver classic cool! And I love that blue line that you added in, very nice touch!

I also see you’re in MD? I have family up there and I was actually just there last week visiting. I know down the road in a few years, I plan to take my Roadster for its first long road trip up to FFR Headquarters and of course back down to MD for some visiting. I love driving the east side of the country in October with the changing of the season and the array of colors in the trees and bushes – BEAUTIFUL! Perhaps I'll look you up sometime in the future?

Well, I guess the only thing left is for you to do, just sit back and drive on... You've earned it! Safe travels wherever you go. Keep smiling as you move to your next challenge in life. All the best to ya, Boyd!

Dj

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks DJ. Please give a holler sometime when you're in the area and we will get together. Got a few other F5 captains in the area, and on the weekends there's always some car stuff going on.

Thanks for the kind words on my car. I'm glad and honored that some part of it can be an inspiration to someone else. Most important is do what YOU want... its your car and your the one thats building it and driving it. If I've done something that someone looks at and says OH YEAH, then thats cool and I'm happy to have helped.

Sorry about your friend Oreo. They just dont live long enough. do they. A large part of my life is given to helping animals and I've become a much better person for it.

Anyways, yes, make contact nest time you're in town. We will have a drink and talk cars.
    Last edited by Boydster; 11-04-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

18. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Good Job Boyd. Enjoy your journeys with the dogs.
    Thanks Boat. Thanks so much for your support. Scarlett is going for her first ride pretty soon...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Stunning work and know that Trinket is smiling down at you right now. Enjoy the drive.

Thanks for the work you for the animals, they need it.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

21. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a beautiful car you built Boyd. Now the real fun starts. Keep up the great work w/ the dogs. Our two cats and one dog are all rescues and we wouldn't have it any other way. We always go for full grown adults figuring that the kittens and puppies won't have any trouble being adopted. Our SIL is a VaTech police officer and last week he went on a call about a cat in a parking garage on campus. He crawled under the SUV to get him and he had no tag etc so he went home. Daughter and three grandkids are already in love w/ Jack Black. He is all black and super affectionate.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

23. Thanks Boydster thanked for this post
    Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done Boyd! Truly a beautiful car you've built.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

25. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Boyd. I have enjoyed following the progress on your build. Turned out great. Hope you enjoy many happy miles!!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

27. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous build.

Congrats !!
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

29. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great work Boyd. She’s a beauty. Thanks for the helpful advice you’ve given me along the way. Enjoy!!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

31. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go, Boyd. I really appreciate the detail in your graduation post, and like the choices you made as well. Your build quality and attention to detail is impressive. Now I've got to go back and read the full story from the beginning in your build thread. I hope your time driving is as satisfying as the build - and I hope the tire marks on the parking lot are all yours!

-- John
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

33. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done, Boyd! We've been pretty closely aligned throughout this journey and I'll be posting my own graduation announcement soon.

Your car is absolutely beautiful!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job Boyd! It looks Awesome!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

36. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Looks great! (And I read all of your build goodies)
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

38. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Well done, Boyd! We've been pretty closely aligned throughout this journey and I'll be posting my own graduation announcement soon.

Your car is absolutely beautiful!
    Excellent! Looking forward to it.
    And Thanks.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Boyd, Your car is beautiful and to me seems to be a unique and exotic color choice. I wish I had that kind of taste. I appreciate your build thread as well as the advice and help you've given me. Rock on brother!

-Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Boyd, Your car is beautiful and to me seems to be a unique and exotic color choice. I wish I had that kind of taste. I appreciate your build thread as well as the advice and help you've given me. Rock on brother!

-Mark
    Mark, thats one of the most beautiful things about these cars; every one is an individual, unique, and built the way its owner wants it.

Thanks for the nice words.

Boyd
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic job Boyd! Now go enjoy it

Jeff

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice! Congrats!

44. Likes Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks beautiful! Now get out and get those tires scrubbed in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Fantastic job Boyd! Now go enjoy it

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Looks beautiful! Now get out and get those tires scrubbed in.
    Already made a passenger reach for the grab bar.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us