Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Saga of a Mark I

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Saga of a Mark I

As some are aware I had a "minor" accident a while ago when I took out a deer late at night while crusing the interstate. My guardian angel took a beating as I was sure the deer turned too far toward me and it was going to be in my lap! Deer horns and all! But at the last few seconds as I had run out of road to avoid him he turned to go the other way. I hit him in the butt and spun him around right down the side of the car.
    encounter with a dear at 70 mph (2).jpg 20180615_212649 (2).jpg

I'll let you figure out what got "painted" all along the side of the car!

So my wife kept after me to just get a new body!
    I kept working on the body and replacing all the broken parts so I could go to Ohio for the Cobra Show.

the repairs done (2).jpg 20180621_200137 (2).jpg

That kept me on the road. But she kept saying she did not think the red stripes looked right and to just get a new body!
    So FFR engineers, after discussions of what kind of doors, hinges etc that I had, said the Mark III would work.
    The body was done but I was off traveling and wanted to come pick it up myself. Finally just called Steward Transport for a quote to just deliver a body. A deal was made and this past weekend the body arrived
    This is my first encounter waiting for the parts to arrive on the BIG BLUE truck! I have often listened to others waiting for THE truck to arrive... pacing back and forth - first waiting for THE call … then the second call that the truck was just around the corner! I got to experience that too for the first time! He rolled the truck up into the GST BOCES complex and up to the door of the Auto Body Shop training building.
    newbody4.jpg newbody3.jpg
    The door opened and hidden under a coupe was a black body with my name on it.
    Michael Everson saw the body at FFR earlier in the day so I got a clue to what it was going to look like BUT nothing like up close when it came out of the truck.
    newbody1.jpg newbody2.jpg

First picture if what Michael sent to me of the body at FFR and the second one is after it was out of the truck, on the ground so we could look it over before it was rolled into the GST BOCES shop There it sat waiting for the high school students to arrive on Monday morning. Just so they could ask "We're getting to work on THAT!!!" Seems I had improved the desire to get to class for the next semester!

I have been asked on Facebook what color will it be, the same blue it is now (Chrysler PB3) OR a new color. It will be a NEW color! Again my wife thought it was time to upgrade the color also. She does great design work for both designing homes and colors designs for rooms etc. Short answer she won. Not white, green or bright reds.

You will just have to wait - like me and to see!

How good is this GST BOCES shop? In the entire nation a senior high school girl from THAT GST BOCES program won the CREF Collision Student of the Year award! And is receiving her aware at SEMA this next week!

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2...DOBfCp0dCnZ6vc

NY has a statewide program called BOCES. BOCES stands for Board of Cooperative Educational Services. While the student attends high school they also attend classes in a trade, like electrical work, plumbing, carpentry, auto mechanics, and auto body repair.
    Last edited by R. Button; 04-01-2020 at 06:25 AM.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

2. Likes John4337, Boydster, WIS89, DSR-3 liked this post