Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: What Should I Know Before Ordering

Post Thanks / Like

What Should I Know Before Ordering

Hi all,
    Getting close to ordering a ‘33 kit, and I’d love to hear from everyone about these two questions:
    1) What are the 3 - 5 things you wish you’d known before you started?

2) What options do you wish you’d ordered or not ordered?

Thanks!
    SB Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    1)
    A. Not so much that I wished I would have known, because I was told repeatedly by many builders before I purchased my kit... there is A LOT of body work to be done on these cars. For those that choose to do this work themselves I applaud them. For me, working with this amount of fiberglass and the gapping of all panels was going to be at the very top end of my bodywork experience. I definitely feel look I could have accomplished it all, but to what level I am not sure of. What you will find is that FFR provides a good foundation with their kit, but as you progress with your build, it will morph. You see things you want to upgrade or change and so you do. With my build, I started making so many changes (aesthetically) that I would have NEVER been able to perform the fit-up, gapping, bodywork and paint at a level that would have complimented the rest of the car. Ultimately, you will love your car for what it is, no matter what it is, but remember the first thing anyone is going to see about your car is the paint!
    B. Inevitably you WILL upgrade items. As previously mentioned (and mentioned time and time again by other builders), there will be areas that, based on your wants and desires for you build, you will want to upgrade or modify...plan and budget for these as best you can, but know that you will probably have more changes and spend more than you think. I was set on NOT having a fendered vehicle. I liked the fenderless look and that and the grill of the 33' is really what sold me on the look of the car. After go karting and hearing the pinging of road rocks hit the car and jump in the seat I knew I would have to add fenders ($$). The fenders would have to be cut and painted ($$). I also wanted the shaved door handle look (actuators, door pops, safety pins, control module...$$$). I think you get the point.
    C. Plan ahead...I know this seems almost ignorant to even state, but I thought I was pretty organized with the plan of my build until I started executing the plan. Just staying ahead of what you might need a few weeks down the road, whether it be extra wire, a switch, etc.. But also don't go to the extreme, my engine sit around for about six months before I really needed it...that's a lot of cash tied up in something that I really didn't need at the time.
    D. Never lose sight of the joy of the build. If you get to a point where you are not enjoying what you are working on, you either need to work on another area or walk away for the day (or two). That feeling that drives you (and maybe for some it's not the joy, but accomplishment - or whatever fuels that fire) don't let it slip. I was told by several builders in the beginning...if you go out into the shop to work on the car, promise yourself you will get ONE thing done that day. It might just be as simple as installing your new wheels on the car...but accomplish something!

2)
    A. I have yet to regret this and hope that I never do, but I would have felt a little better about my build if I would have gone ahead and went with the Boyd Tank. I have had no reason to doubt FFR in this area and they have made many changes to the tank since I purchased my kit, but just based off of some issues others have reported I probably should have just bit the bullet. I compare this kit to when my wife and I had our first house built...by the time we had added all the upgrades we felt we needed, we didn't want to pay the $100 bucks per electrical outlet to add additional plugs. You get to a point where you feel like you are being nickeled and dimed on everything, but we always wished we would have gotten the extra plugs . The good thing is, the tank is really the only thing I would change.

The greatest thing this kit brings in my eyes, is it's versatility. You can make it anything you want it to be or just what you want it to be...it's a car enthusiasts Chocolate Factory and you will have a Golden Ticket!

"...come with me and you'll be in a world of pure imagination" - Willy Wonka

33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

3. Thanks SB Rob thanked for this post
    Likes RBBJ 32 HOTROD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SB Rob View Post
    Hi all,
    Getting close to ordering a ‘33 kit, and I’d love to hear from everyone about these two questions:
    1) What are the 3 - 5 things you wish you’d known before you started?

2) What options do you wish you’d ordered or not ordered?

Thanks!
    SB Rob
    I wish I would ordered the optional tilt steering column, found I couldn't get my knees to clear the steering wheel with the base supplied column.

5. Thanks SB Rob thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My only "regret" is that I wish I had known that there was going to be a Gen 2 before I ordered my Gen 1 Hot Rod. I get the feeling that I'm spending a lot of time on issues that were addressed in the new version.

In hindsight, I would not have bought the full fenders and running boards from FFR. The quality, fit and finish of comparable parts supplied by other vendors are far superior and would have saved me time and aggravation.

My advice is to read everything about Hot Rods you can on both forums, plan your build IN DETAIL, and recognize that any change you make to the standard product will have unforeseen consequences. For me, a big part of the fun is adding custom features that push the car toward the vision in my head. However, seemingly simple ideas like "it would be cool to use a muffler from a Cadillac CTS-V" lead to chassis mods, custom exhaust pipes, heat management issues, rerouting fuel and brake lines, fiberglass work, etc.

If possible, I recommend going to build school. It's a great opportunity to find out what is involved with building one of these beasts and you can sit in a completed car to see if you need the tilt steering wheel and the big guy seats (both options I selected).

When I started this car "I didn't know what I didn't know", but learning new skills and solving problems are the best parts of the project. So build whatever you want, and have fun doing it!
    HTH, Keith HR#894
    Last edited by progmgr1; 11-06-2019 at 12:53 AM.

7. Thanks SB Rob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the in-depth thought and detail JOP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice, thanks.