Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: old '33 fuel tank

Post Thanks / Like

old '33 fuel tank

My kit is from 2011 #324. I have it at go cart stage. I plan on keeping the original fuel tank it came with. With all the posts about switching to the Boyd tank, am I a fool by keeping the original tank?
    Is it just bound to leak at some point. Right now, I don't see any issues with it.

update: i just ran 3 to 5 psi leak down on it with soapy water. It's definitely leaking at fuel pickup and fuel sender. I imagine it has the old square o rings in it (installed prior to me buying car). Does anybody know if a new o ring that's round will work?
    if so, what size?
    Last edited by tony; 11-04-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: update

Post Thanks / Like
    My car is #304 that I bought from unassembled from the original buyer. I didn't want to take the chance with the tank and ordered a Boyds. I know some guys had to use a saw and cut the old tank apart in the car to remove it. That or take the body off. In the last year or so Factory Five has updated the tank and it sounds like its better.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the updated FFR tank that has the filler at the top side of the tank.
    It's a better design as far as making it easier to fill the tank. I did pull a vacuum on it, no leaks.
    You can use Permatex Permashield 85420 on those o-rings, it's oil and fuel resistant.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an original FFR tank and had the square o-ring that leaked and got them to send out the new round o-ring that appears to be way too small cross sectional diameter (and dumped gas all over my car when i filled it) I am currently looking at cutting it out and putting the boyd tank in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been wrestling with this 5 years. When we initially set the car up some guys helping my installed the body and filled the tank. I had wanted to add a fuel return line in the pickup unit located at the top of the tank. I could have capped it off and then later gone to FI if I had desired to. Big Mistake. I run a SBC and didnt need the return until I installed the sniper then needing a return I tried adding it to the filler tube. This really overloads the filler tube and results in a backup of gas that is messy. Plus every two-three years I am having to reinstall the filler tube which is also a pain in the ***. Whatever you decide, do not limit your future options. Plan out everything you might need before you do the final installation.
    Last edited by wrp; 01-07-2021 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chieu Hoy. I gave up and went to a Motorcycle style filler tube mounted on the body outside the trunk

IMG_8334.jpgFuel Filler Relocate-1.jpgFuel Filler Relocate-2.jpgFuel Filler Relocate-4.jpgFuel Line-5.jpgFuel Line-6.jpgFuel Line-7.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 06-07-2021 at 09:42 PM.

7. Likes JOP33 liked this post