Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Soft Hydraulic clutch issue

Post Thanks / Like

Soft Hydraulic clutch issue

I have Mike Forte's hydraulic clutch package. recently installed on a new build (408w with TKO600 and Mcleod Clutch assembly) I am also using a remote CNC reservoir. The system will not hold pressure, I have to pump the clutch multiple times to build pressure and after a very short period of time it is back to being soft, there is no l leaks and the reservoir level is steady. Anyone out there had this issue? I have sent an email to Mike to see if he can help but I wanted to see if anyone has run into this before and what solution they had.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like a bad plunger seal (or whatever they are called) in the master cylinder.

I had a similar problem, albeit with a Wilwood rear brake master cylinder on a balance bar setup. I could never get a firm pedal. I tried every bleeding process and half of the bleeding devices out there, with no success. I eventually disassembled and totally cleaned the offending master cylinder. As far as I could tell, the problem was machining debris in the orifice that allows fluid to pass into the bore. Sounds like your problem is it won't "stay bled"; my problem was I could never get it bled in the first place. Nevertheless, hope this helps.

3. Likes SDhemmings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have air bubbles in the system.

5. Likes SDhemmings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have bled it several times but I plan to bleed it again and see if that helps, its a pretty simple system so shouldn't need extensive bleeding but then again it wouldn't be first thing I messed up on this build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't look at it as "messed up". Look at it from the standpoint that you'll be an expert at clutch bleeding by the time you're done. I'm using Mike's external slave and had the same issue. Went back and re-bled it and it works great. Take your time.

Scott
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

8. Likes SDhemmings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sdonnel, Thanks that is good to hear, When I get home from work I will get it bled again, I have always been into cars and do my own repair work but its amazing how much this build has taught me!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same setup. I had some difficulty getting the fittings into the slave to seal. Took me several times to get them tight. Also made the mistake of putting the incoming line on the top. Make sure your bleed port is above the incoming line from the master. I also had a weep from the internal slave piston. Pulled it out and cleaned the o ring and housing and all good.

Good luck!
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

11. Likes SDhemmings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ILPBfoot, Yeah I had to take all the fittings out and put thread seal on them, that fixed that. I will confirm the slave seal is not weaping although it was dry when I checked but good point. Yep the bleed screw is on top!